new to razr hd

4low4fun

Reaction score
Just picked up a gently used RAZR maxx HD! So far I freaking love it!! Wayyyyyy smother than my og RAZR maxx..
This phone came with the boot loader unlocked.. I've seen posts on the droid news section that tell me if I allow it to update I will lose my unlocked boot loader.. the update is already downloaded.. how do I stop it from installing!?!?!

KaChow

Reaction score
Congrats on picking up an Unlocked Bootloader XT926, seems someone miss informed you. Once, a Bootloader is Unlocked, it Always is Unlocked. You can lose Root, but it is easy to regain.

Take a look at this thread, I tried to put as much information as possible into it to help out the Razr HD/Maxx HD commmunity. Visit here.

OP

4low4fun

Reaction score
So I SHOULD go ahead and let it update??
I'm on 9.16.6 right now.. I have not rooted the phone yet.. I can't get a log in at droidrazr.com to download the utility.. Any body got a mirror??

OP

4low4fun

Reaction score
Bump. Need a mirror to the utility please fellas..

KaChow

Reaction score
I'm not sure what Utility it is that you are looking for. Most cases you must Root first, before getting an Unlocked Bootloader. Which considering that you are running 9.16.6 and you have an Unlocked Bootloader as you mentioned in your OP, I would think, you would already have Root. In the event that you do not have Root, go to the Razr HD/Maxx HD Dev section here, look at the [TOOLS] that I put together that are sticky'd at the top of the page, everything you need is right there.

OP

4low4fun

Reaction score
I can't log into droid RAZR.com which is where the link takes me to download the root utility. When I bought the phone the guy had removed root but like you said before once your boot loader is unlocked its always unlocked.. Now I just need root and I'm in business! Lol

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
did you try to install su and update the binaries? maybe he just did a fdr and the root files are still there.

KaChow

Reaction score
I can't log into droid RAZR.com which is where the link takes me to download the root utility. When I bought the phone the guy had removed root but like you said before once your boot loader is unlocked its always unlocked.. Now I just need root and I'm in business! Lol

Gotcha. Your gonna LOVE this. Click here. Instructions: Extract the entire contents to your Desktop, right click and "run as administrator" on the "run.bat" file. Follow instructions and Boom! Make sure to use Voodoo OTA to backup Root before taking the OTA. After the OTA restore Root, if it fails, we can fix that. Also, then you can Flash a custom recovery and start having fun.

OP

4low4fun

Reaction score
Successfully rooted and unlocked! Thanks again!!! Now which rom to run? I downloaded liquid smooth but was a big fan of the moto based ROMs on my og maxx.. Any suggestions? This is also my first go with an unlocked boot loader. I've always owned Motorola's starting with my old droid 2. What recovery do you all recomend? My only real experience is with safe strap which I was a big fan of because its sheer simplicity.

OP

4low4fun

Reaction score
OK HUGE issue... So I wasn't planning on Dan's utility to auto install twrp.. Now for whatever reason my phone gets stuck in a boot loop if I reboot it and the only way to stop it is to do a factory data reset.. What's the deal?

KaChow

Reaction score
Can't say I've come across the bootloop issue, but now that you have TWRP installed let's push forward. I take no credit for posting these links, all credit goes to BKJolly for his Development on the PacMan Rom, the latest version is the 8/26/13 version 201.7 MB zip, this is Android 4.3 AOSP, which the PacMan port happens to be the most customizable ROM currently available for the Droid Razr/Maxx HD. In addition download these GAPPs, as ports do not include the essential Apps required to run on ports, this is a link and again I take no credit all credit for these GAPPS go to SlimRoms (AIO means All-In-One, as all GAPPS available for Android 4.3), which imo SlimROMs happen to have the best GAPPS available for 4.3.

Instructions download the ROM (takes time due to server), then download the GAPPS> move these to the root of the SDCard1 (external storage). Reboot device into TWRP Recovery make a Nandroid backup, then go into Wipe> Advanced Wipe> check Dalvik Cache, System, Cache, Data and then Swipe to Wipe. Once done, go back to Main Menu. Go to Install> make sure Storage: External_sd is selected find the Pac-Man Rom select it, then add additional zips and find the GAPPS and select them. Go ahead and install, once done Reboot System. Congrats! PacMan is installed, run the setup. After, setup is complete go into settings, SuperUser is in settings make sure it is there. Development options should be right above SuperUser, if it is not there, go into About Phone> Go to Build number and press down on it (no specific spot just inside the box) press until Development settings are restored (this maybe a step that is not needed/but nonetheless CM10.2 base Roms have had this problem). Go ahead and Enjoy, you've got 4.3 running on your device something that these Stock and Unrooted users will likely not see on their devices this year!

OP

4low4fun

Reaction score
Heck yeah man. The installation process sounds just like safe strap. Is everything functional with pacman? Especially WiFi tether.

OP

4low4fun

Reaction score
What if I wanted to use safe strap? Is that still an option?

KaChow

Reaction score
What if I wanted to use safe strap? Is that still an option?

You could still use SafeStrap not sure why you would want to, TWRP is like SafeStrap on Steriods. Just an FYI for updating after you have everything in place, you must use the Stock Android Recovery to install the OTA otherwise you are going to get errors and may not install properly, I have pointed you in the all the right directions to gain more details and specific information. As for PacMan it is based on CM10.2 which is a 4.3 AOSP ROM, any bugs 10.2 has PacMan is likely to have. Enjoy!