Do you hope Samsung brings back the microSD slot for the Galaxy S7?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The biggest complaint we heard regarding the Samsung Galaxy S6 (and its variants) was that Samsung got rid of their microSD slot. If they bring it back with the Galaxy S7 will you consider it?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For myself I am good. I mean I have had my fair share of corrupted micro sd cards. With that said, I understand we all use our phones differently and for some having external memory is important.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Having a microSD card slot is definitely a bonus.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Personally, while I like the option to use an sd card, I like the option of larger onboard storage better. If OEMs continue the trend that's been started by some and make 32GB the base model and go up from there, I think there's less of a need for sd card support.

The thing that cracks me up about them not having it on their latest generation of phones is Google's stance on sd cards. They did away with them years ago (was that the Galaxy Nexus that was the first?) because they thought it was "too confusing" for the average consumer. I guess I can kinda see that when I think about some of the folks I know. But now, Marshmallow added the ability to treat sd cards as adoptable storage, where it sees it as internal, so even if the Nexus devices didn't launch with sd support, the software supports it at its core.

Will be interesting to see what moves they make next year.

pdiddy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 4
No, I do not think microSD is coming back. Samsung took a hard decision and it is going to stick.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It's just a matter of a few weeks & we'll know for sure. My money is on it returning. Too many Samsung fans have spoken out about them removing this option. That's one of the many positives about Samsung in that they tend to listen to their customers concerns more often than most manufacturers do.

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd be just fine with no removable memory if they had a more realistic price difference for a higher internal memory and availability of those models. I'm spoiled by 32gb internal and 64gb external on my Note4 and would have a hard time justifying the price difference they'd probably ask for the same, or similar, variant of all internal.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Reactions: cr6

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I think it's a plus for some but the majority doesn't care. 32 and 64G coupled with cloud services seems to work for most...

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I used to be one that HAD to have an SD card....but since getting used to not having one with my Edge+ I have to say it is not the end of the world for me personally. I don't see Sammy bringing it back....but weirder things have happened in the mobile tech world!

from my sexy edge+

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I think for me it's more the comfort behind having the sd card. I hardly ever actually need it but the piece of mind I get for having it is what I will have a hard time getting over. I will see what this year brings but I am for sure excited about the Note 6 either way.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used to be one that HAD to have an SD card....but since getting used to not having one with my Edge+ I have to say it is not the end of the world for me personally. I don't see Sammy bringing it back....but weirder things have happened in the mobile tech world!

from my sexy edge+
I totally agree with that. On my G2 not having a card never became a problem . As I said before for me it's just that I'm spoiled and still a little paranoid from the days of my phones needing a card to be able to use the camera a lot, music player a lot without a frequent game of memory dump and shuffle.
As for Samsung ,I don't see them walking away from that extra profit during slumping sales unless Apple does it first.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

shark86x

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
It's the principle of the thing. They take away the sd cards then they take away unlimited data and force us to use data to access our own files. I have well over 600 records and a lifetime of photos. If I Want to carry that all with me it's not possible without a sd card or 2. And transferring internally to a new phone will take forever as well. Takes 20 seconds to swap a card. So yes, i want a card slot.