Samsung Finally Explains Why the Galaxy S6 Didn't Have a microSD Slot, but the S7 Does

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 1, 2016.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Apparently, the main reason Samsung didn't include a microSD slot in the Samsung Galaxy S6 series, but they have in the S7 series was basically a technical limitation that they had not been able to iron out to their satisfaction with that device. Samsung exec, Kyle Brown, recently spilled the beans on this subject.

Brown shared that because the Galaxy S6 series was the first device in which Samsung used their brand new super-fast UFS 2.0 memory, Samsung engineers were concerned that a microSD slot would slow down the over-all performance of the Galaxy S6 because the data would be read slower. They were not able to find a way to marry the two technologies before they needed to launch the phone, so they opted to push forward with the device sans the microSD slot.

Since that time, and since the new platform has been perfected, Sammy's engineers were able to overcome the technical hurdles and get the performance ratio between the microSD slot and their faster memory architecture to cooperate better. Thus, they were able to bring back the storage feature in the new Galaxy S7 series. What do you folks think? Does this explanation sound plausible, or just an excuse?

Don't forget to drop by our dedicated Samsung Galaxy S7 series section for further discussion: Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge

Source: TechRadar

2. realged13

realged13 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Sounds like good reasoning to me. I am sure they had expectations that they wanted to meet and so did the people behind the money. I'd rather them get it right, than rushing it into a phone and people complaining.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +3,786
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    I call BS. Simply because they could have said that back then. They might have sold more phones, too. I had zero clue the S6 had faster memory.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I'm with Pere here. If that was the issue and they knew it was the issue back then, why not explain it to people? I'm sure knowing that the phone had faster internal memory and that's why they didn't think it was a good idea to add a slower SD slot would have been a reasonable trade-off to some people who opted to NOT get the S6 because they decided to remove SD support with no explanation.

I think they're trying to play damage control here and toot their own horns, but I think they're too late in doing so. Let's not forget this is a giant business that suddenly has the perfect excuse almost a YEAR later...

• Like Like x 1
  5. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +760
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    This is the kind of thing you tell your customers before launch. Give then a reason for removing it and don't let the rumors start and potentially lose customers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +496
    This is just a reason (because you neeed a reason) to get the S7 if you have an S6. Sammy wants your money.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. PereDroid

Ratings:
    +3,786
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I almost think I kinda might remember hearing something about it right when it launched...?

9. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    I do as well, but it wasn't something they really expounded upon. Which, I agree is quite strange.

• Like Like x 2
  10. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +951
    Both Samsung reps that I have had have told me this reason.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +83
    I remember reading quite a few articles and comments from those that knew about the new memory being in place. They stated the exact say thing that Samsung is saying now. The only difference was most people speculated that the new memory and the SD card slot were not compatible, but it seems as though they are, they just hadn't ironed out the kinks yet.

I think people has this mentality that all company's owe you an explanation as to why they are doing what they are doing... They don't. Some people were upset about the no expandable memory.. was this the cause of the S6 not doing as well as expected, possible, but as most have pointed out, that we are in a slump with mobile technology. Most of the new phones are pretty identical in terms of capability. One of the biggest issues right now is battery, and while the tech companies are doing what they can to conserve battery, it will take new batteries to be able to expand on certain things that they cannot achieve right now.

12. PereDroid

Ratings:
    +3,786
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    I don't remember any of this. And no Samsung doesn't OWE us an answer but, as I said: if they would have told us (and I challenge anyone to find any article from back then to prove it) it would have made a huge difference. NO they probably wouldn't have sold 100,000 more because of that... but maybe 10,000?

• Like Like x 4
Search tags for this page

does samsung galaxy 6 have sd card slot

s7 samsung

sd card slot samsung galaxy s6