Samsung Finally Explains Why the Galaxy S6 Didn't Have a microSD Slot, but the S7 Does

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So they didn't have it ironed out by the Note5 release either?
As stated by others above, it may very well be plausible but I still think the extra Benjamins Samsung could make caused the solution to be put on the back burner, only to be fixed after sales suffered.
If Samsung hadn't mimicked Apple so many times in so many ways I don't think I'd feel anywhere near as strongly that it was on purpose, even if just because they didn't find the solution from lack of looking for it. I believe Samsung saw a potential lemonade factor in a lemon of a problem that turned out to be too unsweetened to keep asking buyers to drink it.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Bottom line: this wouldn't be news if they had told us this before, now would it??
I cannot believe any of you think you heard this before. Are our memories that short? It's only been a year.
I just spent some time searching for news about the S6 from March of last year. I'm home sick today...I got time.
This super fast memory was not mentioned. I could find not one mention. No explanation was given. Article after article tries to speculate why Sammy would do this.
Makes it thinner!
Feels more lux!
One guy actually guessed right: SD Memory slows a phone down. But he was flat out guessing.

From June...people still trying to figure out WHY?!?!

Galaxy S6: The reason why it doesn’t feature a MicroSD slot

That's the guy that was sort of correct.
If we are to believe Sammy, of course.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2

Around 24:08 it is mentioned.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I agree calling this excuse BS even if true. They got hammered for removing two distinctions when compared with an Apple and it bombed. Now the memory slot is back and the phone is water resistant giving an excuse for no replaceable battery. That was down a bit on my list of must haves (I have several external choices). The top on my list now is built in phone memory. I will NEVER buy anything with 16gb internal again. My tablet is crippled and has a microSD card. With their pre-installed crap leaving only about 8gb free has been a pain and a show stopper. Too many useless things can not be deleted or moved to SD card.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ummm.... not really. Look at this benchmark demonstration between the S7 & Note 5. The S7 annihilated it, and the Note 5 is still considered a fairly "new" device. Samsung Galaxy S7 INSANE Benchmark 3D graphics

You make a good point regarding the battery.
One of the reasons the S6 didn't sell well (imo) was due to its terrible battery life. "Under the hood", the S7 is a dramatic improvement in so many ways over the S6. In terms of style and outward appearances, not so much. For me it's the internals that keep me coming back to Samsung ever two years, not what the device looks like.

Benchmarks are benchmarks, 95% of all user bases will never see those small differences between performance. I understand for us savvy users it can and in many cases will make the difference between what we buy, but for most it will not. While it may annihilate it in benchmarks, real world applications are where you have to try to make the distinctions, because people aren't buying phones because the S7 destroys the Note 5 in benchmarks. If the person's S5 still does everything they want it to, and it opens all their apps with very little difference, they will not see a reason to upgrade. That was the point i was trying to make.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I absolutely agree with your benchmark statement and with the general operation of your device. If you only use your smartphone to send text messages, post in a forum or on Facebook then yeah, you probably won't notice much difference in overall performance. But there's no denying the way the S7 handled those graphics compared to the Note 5. But yeah, I know folks that are still completely happy with their Galaxy S3 as it does everything they need it to do.
Personally, I find it pretty amazing how far smartphone technology has come. Today's flagship devices have as much (or more in most cases) processing power than your average 1-2 year old desktop PC.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Benchmarks are benchmarks, 95% of all user bases will never see those small differences between performance. I understand for us savvy users it can and in many cases will make the difference between what we buy, but for most it will not. While it may annihilate it in benchmarks, real world applications are where you have to try to make the distinctions, because people aren't buying phones because the S7 destroys the Note 5 in benchmarks. If the person's S5 still does everything they want it to, and it opens all their apps with very little difference, they will not see a reason to upgrade. That was the point i was trying to make.
I'm not going to spend $700+ for a new device because it's a quarter of an eye blink faster than the one I've got. Add a few extra hours of battery life per charge, some cool bells and whistles plus a more ergonomic feel and I'm all over it but benchmarks are never reality anyway once you put some apps on their and fragmentation rears its ugly head due to overlayed skins and stuff.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
So the SD card slot does matter.

I am still using my Note 4 and won't be buying a Note 5 because it doesn't have one.

Hopefully the Note 6 will.

Sent from my Tab 4, complete with SD card slot.

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
Had a play with an S6 Edge Plus today.

Its fabulous, I want one.

Might hang on for the S7 Edge Plus though.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
S7 over the S6 is a no brainer.
The Edge is certainly sexy. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did when I held one.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Setting up a co-workers S7 now.
First impressions:
WOW. hehehehe
It's so very nice. Beautiful size and shape. A tiny bit skinnier then her S5.
Gorgeous.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
S7 with my Turbo and the S5 above.

uploadfromtaptalk1457458093634.jpg

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
Well I've succumbed to the lure of the S6 Edge Plus.

On a watch forum a mint three month old one was offered for just £395, couldn't resist, its being delivered on Saturday morning. :)

Reactions: cr6