Do you have your Incredible? Please help a developer!

tliebeck

Reaction score
Hi all,

If you happen to receive your Incredible, could you please do me a quick favor? This phone is a bit different from other devices, in that it has INTERNAL storage memory rather than just an SD card.

If you have one, please try the following:

========================

Grab a terminal emulator app from the market and run it. Jack Palevich's "Android Terminal Emulator" is probably the best free option. Open the app.

Type "df" without the quotes and press enter.

Type "mount" without the quotes and press enter.

Press the menu key, then "email to". Either email it to yourself and post it here, or just email it to [email protected].

========================

If possible try it with and without an SD card in the phone. (No worries if this is inconvenient/annoying/too much trouble).

What I'm trying to figure out is where the Droid Incredible mounts the internal storage. The Android APi to retrieve this information is designed specifically for phones that use SD cards for user storage, so there's really no definition as to how the internal storage is accessed. I've asked this on stackoverflow and #android-dev in IRC, without a definitive answer for the Droid Incredible.

Additional note to any developers reading this...it's a BAD idea to spec a path to storage in any case...still would recommend using android.os.Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory() :)

Thanks for any help, really appreciate it!

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
i have been wondering this as well... the internal storage seems like storage purgatory

OP
T

tliebeck

Reaction score
i have been wondering this as well... the internal storage seems like storage purgatory

I doubt it will be that bad, I imagine that this storage will be user readable/writable. Assuming I'm correct will be straightforward to copy files between SD card, Wifi, and computer without issue with various file managers or our own WebSharing/WebSharing Lite products.

vtvette

Reaction score
Hi tliebeck I don't mean to hijack your thread but I'd like to ask you a question - It seems the Moto Droid has been extremely flexible as far as outside development goes. In your opinion do you see anything about the Incredible that makes you believe it would not be as easy to develop/customize/root/hack etc? I'm fairly new to Smartphones and I'm deciding between the Moto Droid and Incredible (my NE2 is up now). I really like the Incredible but I don't want to be tied to a phone for 2 years only to find out it's limited as far as development etc.

Any opinion you have would be appreciated thanks.

OP
T

tliebeck

Reaction score
As far as application development goes, the Incredible should be as open as any Android phone. You'll be able to install whatever apps you want, whether they're from the market or not.

The ROM/OS modding community for the Moto Droid is fairly huge. I'd guess the Incredible will be similar, but I don't know how difficult it will be to root it. If you want custom OSes/ROMs, wait until the Incredible is rooted before you buy.

jasonb

Reaction score
honestly i don't think the incredible will need to be rooted. that's why i am getting it. i have a rooted droid, but get paranoid worrying about cpu temps and stuff. my droid is stable but not 100% perfect. i have some force closes that i am getting tired of seeing.

vtvette

Reaction score
If I may ask one more question - when the Moto Droid is docked (desktop dock), and shows the time, temp, etc - is that exclusive to the Moto Droid or, is that a function of Android software?

Thanks again,