Do you have the Mount and Turn off USB Storage option on your stone?

Jermin

Reaction score
I was preparing for rooting my phone and reading guides on the forum when I came accross this guide on how to mount and turn off USB storage: MicroSD Mounting | Root Your Droid.

But I don't have the pop-up window when I connect to my PC. All I do is click the USB notification and select from Phone Portal, Multi Media Link, another option (which I can't recall clearly at the moment) and None

I also cannot find the "Turn off USB storage" notification after the USB wire is connected. All I can do is unplug my stone directly from my PC.

Do you have the pop-up and notification on your phone?

By the way, I bought my stone from UK.

tehpriest

Reaction score
You should have via the pull down notification when you press "USB connection"

Motorola phone tools.
Windows media sync
Memory card management (this mounts the phone as a usb drive on your PC)
None (which un-mounts it)

Also in settings - SD card and phone storage. there will be an "Un-mount" button you use to remove the SD from the phone.

Reaction score
The droid and milestone though basically the same phone have small differences. Id have to say that is one. From what i understand op as soon as you plug your phone into a computer it mounts the sd for storage, while your reading about how our droids jsut give you a notification that usb is connected and until we click mount sd we cant see it on the computer or copy or paste to or from the card.

And i think you are asking if when we mount the phone/sdcard we get the windows popup for exploring the source. And that would be a yes.

If this didnt answer your question please ask again more clearly cause im not sure exactly what you were asking

Reaction score
Thank you very much, tehpriest.

Could you please do me another favor to clear up confusion?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ed-my-milestone-can-i-install-roms-droid.html

I'm using a British Milestone.

Well you said you are rooted now. Have you installed a custom recovery? If so create a nandroid backup and start loading roms to see what works.

Biggest thing id wonder about working on roms from droid to milestone is the kernels and such. Cause if i remember right the milestone is a gsm phone not cdma like ours.

OP
J

Jermin

Reaction score
I've only rooted the phone. I've not yet install the recovery. Is it safe to follow the guides in the thread I mentioned above to complete the procedure? I think I will install Android 2.1 instead of those custum mods for Droid.

Also, is the guide about backing up apps and system settings before installing ROMs and many others safe to follow?

Thank you for your explanation.