Do You Have Insurance for Your Droid???

Bill M

Reaction score
Yes, this is my first expensive smartphone. I had a blackberry curve prior to this phone that I bought cheap off of ebay so I didn't bother insuring it.

Normally I wouldn't purchase insurance but this phone is pretty expensive and I have dropped cell phones in the past, so I think it is wise to insure.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I learned years ago with my E815: it is a dynamite phone.....except the charging port can break....sometimes too easy.

I got that phone and didnt get insurance, the port broke and when I took it to Verizon, they actually offered to try to fix it, but they couldnt cuz I lost a lil piece. They said I would have to get a new phone at retail then. I got one off Ebay. Its still working.

Next phone after that: Samsung u740. In a year I lost it twice and had it stolen. I had insurance but you only get 2 claims in a year. I was less than a year into my contract so I was gonna take the ETF, which wasnt that bad cuz back then it went down every month of your contract. (dont know if they still do that) Instead of losing me, they offered me the Omnia 1 a few months early. (I dont think the CSR was supposed to but they honored the offer) I had to get a new 2 year contract so I dont think she got in too much trouble.

Whatever phone you get, please get the insurance.

I will say that Verizon's customer service is very good. I had no insurance and they offered to try to fix my E815. Too bad I lost that lil piece. And with the Omnia AND my Droid, I got offered the phones early into my contract.

Whatever you do, get the insurance.

streetkid

Reaction score
Yes. I've always been anti insurance, but that was when I always had a phone that could be replaced by a $40 phone from ebay.

Can you remove insurance from your phone any time? Might not be a bad idea to drop it for the last 6-12 months of the contract to save some scratch. Another question, if I didn't have insurance and broke my phone, could I replace it with a non-smart phone and drop the dataplan (basically did a sign a 2yr contract on the data plan, or just the phone plan?)

Guchi

Reaction score
Yes. I've always been anti insurance, but that was when I always had a phone that could be replaced by a $40 phone from ebay.

Can you remove insurance from your phone any time? Might not be a bad idea to drop it for the last 6-12 months of the contract to save some scratch. Another question, if I didn't have insurance and broke my phone, could I replace it with a non-smart phone and drop the dataplan (basically did a sign a 2yr contract on the data plan, or just the phone plan?)

just the phone plan or line. you can take the data off if you switched to a phone that doesn't require it

Warweasel

Reaction score
Got insurance on both of ours, but through Squaretrade. I've used it once before with zero hassles, but that was a few years ago. Hopefully I won't have to find out with these.

countryboy498

Reaction score
I don't have the insurance. With what I am paying for two smart phones and a third line for my son, insurance would put me over the $200 a month mark and I am not willing to do that for cell phone service. However, I have two BB Curves sitting at home that are perfect. If something (gulp) ever happened to my Droid or my wifes and it was out of warranty I would just have to go back to BB until I was elgible to get a new phone.

Mikegreco16

Reaction score
I have insurance, but I've also dropped my previous phones many many times. So far though with the Inc its still pristine.

ctsv510

Reaction score
I have never broken a phone and will probably never buy insurance on one. I'm careful with my stuff and if I break it I'll deal with it. Same thing with my television, as long as there is a manufacturers warranty against defects I'm fine, I don't need special insurance or warranties.

FLE

Reaction score
I have insurance as well. I also got an extended warranty from Verizon on my moto droid.