disappearing sms messages

jbby

Reaction score
this is the second time it has happened to me since i got my phone. i dont have delete old messages enabled. all my sms/mms threads/messages disappeared. only thing i can think of is because it reaches a maximum amount of texts, considering some of the threads get over 1000 texts each.

also in the main sd dir i have this file mms_oom_hprof_data
anyone happen to know what this is?

Last edited:

JayMonster

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity... did you increase the size of the Text message limit in the Messaging App (this is done through the default app, even if you are using a 3rd party app like Handcent or Chomp since they all pull from the same messaging database)

zegolf

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity... did you increase the size of the Text message limit in the Messaging App (this is done through the default app, even if you are using a 3rd party app like Handcent or Chomp since they all pull from the same messaging database)

I think you can also configure it to NEVER delete texts. I'm guessing it'll just warn you that you're running out of space and need to delete SMS's.

OP
J

jbby

Reaction score
im not using any third party apps for sms such as handcent or chomp, and i also have delete old messages disabled so it shouldn't delete anything. also text message limit can only be changed if the delete old messages is enabled so i don't see a place where it can be set to never delete messages. i just assumed without delete old messages enabled i would have the choice when to delete them.

JayMonster

Reaction score
But what do you have the "Message Limit" set to? (By default it is 200 messages)

I understand you removed the "Delete messages when you get to the limit" but if you have more messages in a thread than the "Message Limit" I would be afraid that this would cause damage to the database and result in the sort of data loss you are describing.

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
I haven't lost complete threads in a while, but using handcent i have noticed that somtimes i'll see a txt in the notification tray and it won't ever post in the sms thread.

I love handcent but at this point it's still too buggy so I'm gonna stick with the stock app until they can figure out what's going on.

Minaris

Reaction score
This JUST happened to me today.. I sent a text message to a friend, then used the "running application bar" at the top of the screen to switch back to Pandora that was playing in the background. Once I got to pandora I got a "Messaging has failed blah blah blah" error with a Force Close button. I pressed Force Close, and to my astonishment I went back to messaging moments later to find it completely blank.

This is the first time since owning it (bought on release day) that this has happened to me. Curious

Aviedo

Reaction score
Disappearing SMS Threads

I am not using any third party Apps. For the second time in one week all of my SMS threads just disappeared. None of them were anywhere near the limit of 200 texts per thread. This has happened since I got the update on Dec 11th. I thought the first time it happened it was going to be a one time occurrence due to the update of the phones operating system but it happened again today. As of last night I had 3 active threads with less than 5 messages each and today all but one thread with one message is gone!

kiwiguy

Reaction score
I haven't lost complete threads in a while, but using handcent i have noticed that somtimes i'll see a txt in the notification tray and it won't ever post in the sms thread.

The same thing has happened to me using Handcent. I will reply to a msg in the Handcent popup - but when I go to the thread - only my reply is shown. The incoming msg has disappeared!!

I had used task killer to turn the native Messaging app off - so turning it back on now to see if this fixes this issue. If not think, Handcent will have to go - which is a pity.

JayMonster

Reaction score
I had used task killer to turn the native Messaging app off - so turning it back on now to see if this fixes this issue. If not think, Handcent will have to go - which is a pity.

And therein lies your problem. Handcent and the Native app use the same data structures and underlying inforation. You cannot kill the native messaging application. You are saving nothing in memory and goofing up the underlying storage. Leave it be and you will see better results.

Macen

Reaction score
My problem is I will be notified in the the notification bar I have a new text message. I pull the bar down and click on message to open it and the message is blank when before I opened it I could see a sample of the message of the first few words, but once message is opened nothing is there. This all happens randomly at its own will and I'm constantly telling people to resend message to me cause the Droid has a bad bug issue with the messaging system. Sometimes when I have already read the message and go back to refer to something or to reply back it is gone. Sometimes also when go to reply back to someone it will end sending it to another person not intended that had sent me message earlier to my text inbox.

JayMonster

Reaction score
And again... what apps do you have installed? How many messages do you have saved on the phone? Are you killing tasks with ATK? Because Android alone does not have the bugs you describe (at least not in my experience). I'm not questioning what you are saying... I am just saying that there is a "reason"

Macen

Reaction score
I use advanced task manager to end apps and processes. It showed the problem within first week of owning the phone ad I got it on November 10th. I remember some of the first few apps I installed on phone by not all. I may try a factory default reset and update phone also. Some of the original apps o still have on phone off the top of head are Google sky maps, con flip, pshyco,music search, shazam, and a few others. And how can I retrieve my contacts from gmail. Didn't see an option or link in my gmail account. I have imported contacts to my SD card into the vfile or vcard, which ever it was called. Is ATK better than Advanced Task Manager in your opinion?

JayMonster

Reaction score
ATK *is* Advanced Task Killer. There is nothing wrong with the app per se, except for people doing way too much task killing. And causing corruption to underlying systems. Just let the OS do its job and handle memory, and I think you will find far less problems.