Handcent SMS text storage limit

emh90

Reaction score
I have a Droid 2 and use the Handcent SMS app for texting. Originally, I was using the stock messaging program and had increased the maximum message limit from the default 200 up to the maximum 1000. Then I got Handcent and made it my default texting app. When I first got it, Handcent worked fine and it kept all my text messages and threads without limiting the number that I had going in separate threads (several of them got up to 3000+ messages). My memory usage (both the internal storage device and the SD Card) has always been fine and it says that I still have almost all my 7-8 GB of space available. However, not too long ago I realized after scrolling through old threads that it had begun deleting my oldest messages in the longer threads. I obviously didn't count how many messages it kept in these threads, but I'm assuming that for some reason Handcent has started enforcing the 1000 message limit I had set on the stock messaging program, and so in some of the live threads I still have going, it's started deleting the oldest messages in order to meet the 1000 message limit. In one thread that I haven't used in months (the person got a new phone number), however, it still has all 3000 or so messages. I'm assuming that some Handcent update along the way changed the Handcent settings so that it borrows the texting limit off of the stock messaging app.

This happened to anyone else? Is there any way to get rid of the message limit on Handcent? It used to work perfectly for me, and now it's ruining a lot of threads...