Died razr

mvitsor

Reaction score
Hi, I live in Brazil and I've bought the new DROID RAZR as a Christmas gift to myself. Well, two days passed and the first bug appeard: the screen suddenly stopped responding and I needed to reset the phone (Power Key + Volume Down Key). Obviously, after the fourth bug in less than a week, I went to the shop and switched my phone to another RAZR, bug the screen bug happened again in four days. And I switched it again... (you can easily switch the phone if it's broken before one week). The third RAZR seemed to be ok, my week passed and I went on vacation. However, last Saturday I was playing Angry Birds and the screen freezed. Even the Power Key wasn't blocking the screen. And again, I needed to reset the phone. But this time, it won't turn on anymore!! Although the battery was 70% before of dying, I tried to charge it and nothing still happened. It was dead!! Today (Wednesday) I tried to charge the phone again and, this time, it worked. For the first time in two days the screen lit! It showed that charging screen with the big battery with 0% and, after an hour, I could use it again. Well, it didn't last much: by coincidence, when the battery reached 70% all happened again: the screen bug, the reset, the fail and the death. I don't know what to do!!! It is still warm and I suppose the battery is running out, so I can wait and try to charge it again, but I can't live this way!! The RAZR looks like an amazing phone, I can't understand why it's happening to me!!! The first phone could be broken but what about the othe two ones?? :frown:

pinoy_92

Reaction score
did you install any roms? maybe you have smart actions that are doing seriously problems. did you install any apps that is kinda shady?

OP
mvitsor

mvitsor

Reaction score
Thanks for answering. Actually, I didn't use any smart actions and I don't think I installed any "apps that is kinda shady". Don't know if it helps, but this morning I tried to charge the RAZR and the notification led was white. Except for that, the phone is still dead.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
The white LED light is a dead battery, if I remember right...but there has been a couple of posts on this forum and the Moto support forums where people have just had their phone die - black screen, white LED light...Have you tried going back to where you purchased the phone to see if they are willing to exchange since this has been an ongoing issue?

It could be a bad batch of phones that they received but it definitely sucks that you are getting the bad ones.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
yea try to plug the phone in for a few hours then try to turn it on then. if not go to the store and be aggressive.

OP
mvitsor

mvitsor

Reaction score
Back to the store

Thanks for the reply, I'm now travelling but I think I should go to the store and ask for an exchange when I'm back home. Just one more question: Am I really having such a bad luck and I should try the fourth RAZR or it would be better to give up and try another phone model? (If it's the second option, which phone is more suitable?) I mean, am I the only one having this kind of problem??

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
There are alot of good phones out - it really hard to say, this one or that one would be best...hopefully the store has some that will allow you hands-on time if you do decide to move from the Razr and you can find one that will give you what you need from a phone...

Good luck and keep us posted!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The white LED light is a dead battery, if I remember right...but there has been a couple of posts on this forum and the Moto support forums where people have just had their phone die - black screen, white LED light...Have you tried going back to where you purchased the phone to see if they are willing to exchange since this has been an ongoing issue?

It could be a bad batch of phones that they received but it definitely sucks that you are getting the bad ones.

There is a definite possibility that the same dealer location received more than one phone from the same "batch". If there is a defect it is quite possible that the same defect will be there in more than one phone in the same batch.

The white LED is definitely a dead battery. I had that happen to me yesterday. I was using the phone while it was already at 15% and was plugged into the desktop PC at work, but I was streaming audio on 4G. What I found out was that the battery was actually going down even though it was connected to USB power. Eventually it shut off suddenly. I unplugged the phone and tried to power it up but it did nothing. I plugged it in and the LED was white for over a half hour and then the phone powered up on its own and continued charging. I wouldn't be surprised if it were left plugged into the charger that the OP's phone would do the same thing.

I am always suspicious of a series of phones that display erratic behavior such as you described, and being a troubleshooter by nature I want to do a process of elimination to determine if it's not either rogue software or user error that is causing the problems. There are people who have been recognized as not being able to wear mechanical watches because they suddenly stop working. There are a myriad of theories as to why and plenty of doubt and outright accusation of fraud by some, but who is to say it can't be true. The fact that the OP had 4 phones that exhibited the same symptoms could easily be due to a unique set of circumstances that may seem quite normal to the OP. It could be just the right settings in various applications, or just the right combination of applications that cause a disruption of the operating system.

The only way to know if this is a true phone problem is to run the phone for an extended period of time after a FULL Factory Data Reset, with erasure of both the internal storage and either removal of or erasure of the external SD card, and without ANY customization of the Operating System...or in other words, full STOCK system. If the same problems present, then there is certainly something terribly wrong with the phone or the ROM that was flashed at the factory.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thanks for the reply, I'm now travelling but I think I should go to the store and ask for an exchange when I'm back home. Just one more question: Am I really having such a bad luck and I should try the fourth RAZR or it would be better to give up and try another phone model? (If it's the second option, which phone is more suitable?) I mean, am I the only one having this kind of problem??

If you're not comfortable doing the master reset, I would try a new phone but don't install ANY apps, don't change ANY user-selectable features. Simply use the apps as they are installed, make calls from the stock dialer, use the stock browser, don't set up any Smart Actions or activate any of the premium services or applications. Run it like that for a week and if the problem doesn't surface, then one-by-one, make changes to customize it to your liking (like installing apps) while using it for a while between these changes until the problem resurfaces again. Then backtrack through the last changes made and reverse them until the problem goes away again. this will allow you to isolate the cause of the problem if it's definitely not defective phones.