Deleted Apps (Stock apps)

Jaylor

Reaction score
So, I have to admit I was one of those people that went root happy and deleted the Amazon app that came with my phone. Then I read about how it could brick an OTA update.

I admit I was dork for doing it before reading more about the phone. I had no clue the update actually looks at the size of the OS etc, looks for default apps. I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there that did the same thing but; I've searched the forums and haven't found anything about getting them back. I've searched Google a bit and found some info about it but nothing for the Droid specifically and I'm afraid that installing an app that was stock for another phone might still mess up the OTA.

So I suggest we use this thread to help each other get the apps back! :)

I'm guessing the easiest way to do this would be to just post the app you need and have someone email it to you?

So on that note:

Does anyone have a spare com.amazon.mp3.apk running around? :)

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
omg thank god i didnt root like i've been drooling to do because that would have been the first one i deleted lol

im gonna wait awhile longer and see what happens with the next update to see what happens to ppl that have rooted

JayMonster

Reaction score
First of all (in theory) you would never do an over the air update with a custom ROM, you would wait for whomever cooked your custom ROM to come out with an update.

Second, other than saving a few Kb to remove Visual Voicemail (assuming) and Amazon MP3, what did you actually gain? I know the Droid *can* be Rooted now, but honestly, what is the benefit (right now)? Eventually I am sure there will be a reason, but in my mind I am unsure as to the benefit yet. (I'm not judging, I'm asking... just because I just don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there).

DebDroid

Reaction score
The one I wanted to get rid of was Facebook. And that visual voicemail.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not concerned about these apps that came stock either. My BB Storm had several apps that couldn't be deleted as well... i just stuck them in a folder and hid it. They didn't affect performance at all... much like the stock apps on my Droid haven't affected my phone's performance. I think it's just a lil OCD getting the best of some of us :)

Silver Member
Reaction score
if you're not using them, what harm are they doing? all of that stuff is stored on the ROM anyway. ROM means read-only, which means no matter what deleting or modifications you do, the applications will still exist in ROM (do a factory reset and find out).

phones aren't like computers. you can't just build an OS from scratch right from the device.

skulman

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about these apps that came stock either. My BB Storm had several apps that couldn't be deleted as well... i just stuck them in a folder and hid it. They didn't affect performance at all... much like the stock apps on my Droid haven't affected my phone's performance. I think it's just a lil OCD getting the best of some of us :)

You just stuck them in a folder? What folder? Where did the folder come from? How do you access this folder and/or put things in it? VERY VERY Droid/smartphone newbie here.:icon_eek:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

You just stuck them in a folder? What folder? Where did the folder come from? How do you access this folder and/or put things in it? VERY VERY Droid/smartphone newbie here.:icon_eek:

Sorry for any confusion... I used the folder trick for my BB Storm.
Unfortunately with the Droid any of the icons in the app drawer can not be placed into a folder within the app drawer. So there's no way of 'hiding' them per se.

you can however create folders on your home screens by 'long pressing' the screen and a dialog box will pop up with options for widgets, folders, shortcuts, and wallpapers. From there if you create a folder you can then 'drag and drop' icons into it. Simple way to avoid clutter on your home screens!

OP
J

Jaylor

Reaction score
JayMonster, my reason wasn't to save memory at all. I just like to make what ever device I'm using organized. My main reason for rooting in the first place was to delete stock apps that I don't use and then actually put folders in the apps pull out.

As for OTA updates with custom ROMS well, there aren't any out yet and also, I might have to take the phone back because the case around the USB port is kinda loose so I really need to be able to put it back to 'normal'.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Sorry for any confusion... I used the folder trick for my BB Storm.
Unfortunately with the Droid any of the icons in the app drawer can not be placed into a folder within the app drawer. So there's no way of 'hiding' them per se.

you can however create folders on your home screens by 'long pressing' the screen and a dialog box will pop up with options for widgets, folders, shortcuts, and wallpapers. From there if you create a folder you can then 'drag and drop' icons into it. Simple way to avoid clutter on your home screens!
you can hide any of yur apps, skins, fonts, keyboards, etc. from showing in the apps drawer if you have panda home :D

OP
J

Jaylor

Reaction score
I'm already addicted to Home++ and couldn't imagine living without the powerbar! :)

Then again, that might change. After all, I'm treating my phone like a computer which means I'm gonna be always looking for the latest and greatest program. :)