Data Usage?

riko540

Reaction score
Previous poster is correct, using Wi-Fi on your phone will not use data, remember that. You should have the My Verizon app. If you have limited data or texts it will be invaluable to keeping up with your usage. Welcome to the Droid family. :)

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

Another neat app is 3G Watchdog. It monitors your 3G data usage and breaks it down for you. It can also be set to alert you when you get close to hitting your limit and its available as a widget too.

tigerdango

Reaction score
Oh I didn't know about that app. I might check it out to see how it is, but since I have unlimited data I don't really have an actual use for it. Lol. Although it might be interesting to see just how much 3G I use on a daily basis.

riko540

Reaction score
Oh I didn't know about that app. I might check it out to see how it is, but since I have unlimited data I don't really have an actual use for it. Lol. Although it might be interesting to see just how much 3G I use on a daily basis.

Yeah I have unlimited as well and its a good thing to because I use close to 1GB of data in a month. I saw this app and thought it might be useful to the OP.

morsecode191

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everybody. I downloaded 3G Watchdog so hopefully that helps. I just checked my usage again and it's still charging me minor charges in the random hours of the night. I tap my battery widget and it says wifi is on, and I don't think sync is on because on my power control nothing is green.

tigerdango

Reaction score
That sucks. I feel its really invaluable now a days to have unlimited data and SMS.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

luv2mtbike

Reaction score
Same problem

Hey Morse, I have the same deal. However, my usage after TWO days is 35 MB. Of this 27mb was the second night I had it while I was a sleep and not using. I am on the 150MB plan as well. If I was to go over by that amount that would be $270.

Keep watching the usage and re-post if you find anything out. I will do same.

titans1

Reaction score
You guys are nutz trying to make it on anything but unlimited with a Droid. Switch now or it will get costly fast

sent from my refrigerator I'm hungry

tigerdango

Reaction score
Yeah it's so much better to just have unlimited. Droids are going to use data regardless because they use data to check for app upgrades and other stuff.

morsecode191

Reaction score
You guys are nutz trying to make it on anything but unlimited with a Droid. Switch now or it will get costly fast

I'm doing just fine with what I have with my Droid now. I needed a phone for calls and texts, as well as advanced scheduling and task management because I'm a business major. I didn't really get the Droid for the internet and to check my FaceBook every 5 minutes, I have my laptop glued to my side anyways.

Hey Morse, I have the same deal. However, my usage after TWO days is 35 MB. Of this 27mb was the second night I had it while I was a sleep and not using. I am on the 150MB plan as well. If I was to go over by that amount that would be $270.

I decided to just turn off the Mobile Network, and my data stopped being used all-together. Everything still works such as the phone, texts, etc. and when I need the internet I simply either turn on WiFi (because I'm usually at home or on campus where wireless is available) or I turn Mobile Network back on if there's no WiFi available. Works perfect for me.

luv2mtbike

Reaction score
Titans, I took your advice...just upgraded to unlimited for an extra $15 per month.

Thx

futuredroidy

Reaction score
google calendar with limited data plan

I'm doing just fine with what I have with my Droid now. I needed a phone for calls and texts, as well as advanced scheduling and task management because I'm a business major. I didn't really get the Droid for the internet and to check my FaceBook every 5 minutes, I have my laptop glued to my side anyways.

I decided to just turn off the Mobile Network, and my data stopped being used all-together. Everything still works such as the phone, texts, etc. and when I need the internet I simply either turn on WiFi (because I'm usually at home or on campus where wireless is available) or I turn Mobile Network back on if there's no WiFi available. Works perfect for me.

morsecode: im about dead set on getting an incredible in a few days after months of research. i too will be on the $15 limited data plan and i am excited to use google calendar..however i am confused about when i am not online or connected to wifi, can i still view and edit my google calendar on the incredible? if so, will it then sync the next time im connected? thanks

morsecode191

Reaction score

morsecode: im about dead set on getting an incredible in a few days after months of research. i too will be on the $15 limited data plan and i am excited to use google calendar..however i am confused about when i am not online or connected to wifi, can i still view and edit my google calendar on the incredible? if so, will it then sync the next time im connected? thanks

I highly recommend the Incredible, I've had it for about two months and I love it!

In regards to your question, I can't really give the answer you're probably looking for because I don't use Google Calendar myself, but I'm pretty sure that if you update you calendar while connected (through Wi-Fi or mobile network) the update will stay while you are offline as well for you to view, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to edit it without being connected.

stormchaser03

Reaction score
your phone is using data even in sleep mode
sending and receiving information from the tower's,
smart phone's use data as bad as they use the battery,
i have had the dinc for 3 1/2 weeks, when i check this
a.m. it showed over 760 mgs used and it was three days
behind on reporting.i agree with the above poster, if you have
a smart phone,you need a smart plan......unlimited,it will pay
for it's self and you don't have to worry about everything you
do and don't do on the phone,then you can enjoy your new phone.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
K so I'm very new to the Droid world and I've already made a thread involving the texting, but now I'm a little confused with how "data use" is calculated with the Droids.

I just logged onto my Verizon Account (I don't have unlimited data, just 150 MB a month) and it's said I already used 11 MB since Thursday. When I looked at the detailed description of the use, it says there's minor usage at random times in the morning including .02 MB at 5 am, 6 am, and all other times that I was asleep and definitely not using my phone.

What could have caused this and how can I fix it? I don't want my data being used when I'm not even knowing it. And while we're on the subject, can someone explain how I should be going about internet access? Like what's the difference between WiFi, 3G Mobile HotSpot, and the initially checked "Mobile Networks"? I know this is very basic and I should know it, but I don't so thanks!
When home turn on WI-fi, data will not be used since you are using your homes Internet Network, by the way, you purchased a SMART phone, which has lots of widgets and apps, skype, twiter,facebook and the sort use data if you have activated them, HTC Sense UI like their weather widget that keeps updating the weather and time, go to you settings and under applications go to running services and stop the ones you do not want to keep running. There is also an app on the market that I always use and it works better than the stock applications tab, it's called androidsysyeminfo,once downloaded and opened go to the top right hand tab that says Apps, it will showyou all the apps that are on your phone, you can clear caches or whatever you want to each and every app on your phone, once you click on a tab while in the app you will get these tabs, Force Stop, Uninstall Clear Data, Move to SD card, and Clear Cache.:icon_ banana: