Data usage. WHOA!

iBLeeDBaTTLeReD

Reaction score
Just switched to Verizon last night forbetter coverage in my area and went with the Razr Maxx. It hasn't been 24 hrs yet and my data had already used .250 of 2 GB! Am I doing something wrong, at this rate I'll reach my limit in 8 days! I didn't even use the internet much last night and have been on wifi at home all day today. i'm assuming while on my home wifi my data shouldn't be used, correct? I do notice that the 4g LTE icon still appears next to the wifi icon while i'm on wifi, does that mean its using my data instead of the wifi signal?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Download the data enabler widget and use it when you use wifi. My X2 and HTC incredible always took the 3g signal away when wifi was connected but I did notice the Razr does not do this. Technically, it should be using wifi, but I would use the widget just to be sure. Also, you can set things to only sync on wifi, so that might help as well. There are a lot of apps that use data in the background. Have you downloaded a lot of apps?

nikecar

Reaction score
Just switched to Verizon last night forbetter coverage in my area and went with the Razr Maxx. It hasn't been 24 hrs yet and my data had already used .250 of 2 GB! Am I doing something wrong, at this rate I'll reach my limit in 8 days! I didn't even use the internet much last night and have been on wifi at home all day today. i'm assuming while on my home wifi my data shouldn't be used, correct? I do notice that the 4g LTE icon still appears next to the wifi icon while i'm on wifi, does that mean its using my data instead of the wifi signal?
i turned on Google Music for a 10 minute shuttle ride and I was up 300MB.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
That is outrageous and really should not be that high. Things to do to save data use:

-Turn data off unless you need it. You can get a data toggle widget from play store that switches your data on and off.
-turn off auto sync and choose to sync manually instead. Again, you can get a sync toggle widget from play store or use the stock one that comes with the phone.
-use Wi-Fi whenever possible (you already know this) and while on Wi-Fi, keep data off. The only reason to turn data on should be when you don't have Wi-Fi and you want to access email, the internet, etc or if you are sending or receiving a picture (mms) message (mms messages won't send or receive over Wi-Fi). As soon as you are done needing data, turn it back off again.
-set your emails to fetch (pull) your email every hour (less or more) instead of set to push. I have mine set on manual and when I go into the email, I just hit refresh to collect my email.

There are probably other ideas to save data but these should help the most. I have unlimited data but two of my kids have 4 gb and they never go over 2gb a month by doing the above.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
iBLeeDBaTTLeReD

iBLeeDBaTTLeReD

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions everyone will keep you posted tomorrow. One thing I forgot that I did last night was send some of my pics that weren't saved to sd card from my old phone thru Bluetooth, that doesn't use data does it? Might be the culprit if so and a dumb move on my part. I was at work and had to get them over to the new phone since I had sold the old phone to a Co worker which paid for the Maxx.

This is going to take some getting used to as I also had unlimited data on my Tmobile plan but since I moved I wasn't getting good reception in my area so had no choice....ahh how I miss you unlimited data :(

Last edited:

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Unlimited data on T-Mobile is only 2gb, 5gb, or 10gb of high speed data, then they drop you down to dial up. So you were still limited in a way.

OP
iBLeeDBaTTLeReD

iBLeeDBaTTLeReD

Reaction score
jackiescivic said:
Unlimited data on T-Mobile is only 2gb, 5gb, or 10gb of high speed data, then they drop you down to dial up. So you were still limited in a way.

Yea but minus the overage charges ;)

OP
iBLeeDBaTTLeReD

iBLeeDBaTTLeReD

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas everyone.Have definitely seen a decrease in data usage by using toggle and wifi. Great tips!

jeverts

Reaction score
If data saver is on, how exactly does it save data usage? Nevermind...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

tc1

Reaction score
I have unlimited data and I keep my data(3g and 4g) turned off anyway. At least while I'm at work.

Really not reason to have it on all day unless you are a sync/update junkie.

Just turn it on when you need it, saves battery like you wouldn't believe.