Data Recovery Help

Sandman366

Reaction score
Okay, I know someone with a Galaxy Nexus (I've got one too, but it's theirs that has the problem) who had some slight water damage, left it to dry for a few days, and it won't start. It's not rooted/unlocked (straight up stock), can get into bootloader, can start recovery (but it's stock so it's not like I can try anything from there), and if you try to boot normally, you go into a bootloop.

The phone itself is probably not going to be worth trying to save, I'm just trying to get any data from it. I've got Wug's GNex toolkit (1.4), but I can't just get CM recovery on it as that'd wipe the thing. Any help would be appreciated....

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did they have USB debugging enabled? If so, you could ADB pull /sdcard/

Also, have you tried fastbooting the stock images?

OP
S

Sandman366

Reaction score
Don't think they had it enabled, but wouldn't pulling that require it to be on anyway?

And if you mean fastboot/start normal, that doesn't work...

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't think they had it enabled, but wouldn't pulling that require it to be on anyway?

No. You can adb pull from stock recovery.

And if you mean fastboot/start normal, that doesn't work...

No. I mean booting into fastboot and fastbooting the stock images to get the phone functioning. Fastboot = bootloader if you were confused by the way. You can do that through Wug's kit I think. If not, I can tell you how to do it manually. It WILL wipe the device and SD card though so if you want to recover data, I'd try adb first.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sandman366

Reaction score
No, USBDebug isn't on. Just tried pulling from stock recovery and it can't find it...and I peeked at it using mine first (which has debug on) which worked, but their's isn't found.

I think I see where to boot from another image using wug's, but I don't know where to get a bootable image. Tried downloading stock, but it couldn't seem to read it. (Plus, bootloader is locked, so would that even work?)
Edit: Ahh, in the .zip. Boot to system.img, right?

Edit2: Nope, tried booting to it, and it says to unlock bootloader to try that. So no way to get anything off of it?

Last edited:

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really don't know of a way to recover data on a device that won't boot normally without using adb... :( If you want to see if you can get the phone to boot properly, I can help you flash the stock images, but I think the data is pretty much done for.

OP
S

Sandman366

Reaction score
Is it possible to flash stock system without killing data on it? Only told it to boot from, not flash, so it's theoretically possible...right?
(Edit: Nope, can download, but not write. Great...)

(PS: How much digging would it take to just remove the memory anyway? Just curious, realizing it probably wouldn't work, but it's still a theory...)

Last edited:

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to flash stock system without killing data on it? Only told it to boot from, not flash, so it's theoretically possible...right?
(Edit: Nope, can download, but not write. Great...)

I was curious about that one day myself and I tried to fastboot back to 4.0.2 without wiping and I bootlooped. The only problem is the update from -w script, wipes SD card data too. The reason you can't write is because the bootloader is locked and unlocking the bootloader wipes data. Pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place.

OP
S

Sandman366

Reaction score
Can't get anything off without unlocking to boot to another image, but can't do that since it'd wipe the thing.
It's basically starve or shoot yourself, isn't it?

Thanks anyway.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't help further. Tell him to turn on USB debugging for next time!!! It will save a lot of headaches if this were to happen again.