D3 vs. D1

dancole42

Reaction score
So... what can I do with my Droid 3 that I couldn't do with my Droid 1?

Anything goes...

imnotmikal

Reaction score
Well... You can take pictures of your face without having to awkwardly hold the camera backwards and hope you get your face.

And you can type numbers without having to use the alt key...

And... You can.. Uhhh. Any one?

Reaction score
Hdmi, Video chat, and you can do everything ten times faster lol

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Do things faster with dual core, easier to see with bigger screen, multitask more with higher RAM, use an official version of GingerBread, take Front Camera photos, actually have a keyboard worth typing on with an extra row, HDMI Mirroring to do everything on your phone, on the TV, etc

darkmatter

Reaction score
imo, if d3 had lte, it would be considered the best phone in the US atm.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

LT*

Reaction score
Play Plants vs Zombies, or any number of other newer games that would NOT run on my D1

Fr33dom

Reaction score
  • Get OS updates (the D1 is no longer supported)
  • Change your SD Card without taking out the battery
  • Use your phone in other countries
  • Take 1080p HD movies
  • Protect your data with encryption
  • Change settings to save more battery
  • Pay Verizon a ton to tether and use your phone as a hotspot without added apps/root
  • Use the built-in backup assistant
  • Have your screen on for longer periods without much fear
  • See your screen in direct sunlight
  • Complain about bloat
  • Determine if caps lock or alt lock is on on the built-in keyboard by looking at the keyboard
  • Use a pouch/case with a magnetic flap without concern
  • Actually expect the corporate email app to sync
  • Not complain about the long grill of the speaker
  • Complain about the speaker phone volume

Reaction score
imo, if d3 had lte, it would be considered the best phone in the US atm.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

They're saving LTE for their Droid 4G campaign next year

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

AHiLdesigns

Reaction score
So... what can I do with my Droid 3 that I couldn't do with my Droid 1?

Anything goes...

I had my Droid 1 for just over a year and a half. It was my first Android experience and I absolutely loved it. I was terrified of upgrading. I don't need a media-specific phone and I certainly wasn't looking for a ton of features that I'd never use. I wanted what i had, only better. Suffice it to say that after some research, I'm supremely happy with my (now 1 week old) Droid 3. It's exactly what I wanted. I have no experience with the previous model, so I couldn't say how they compare, but I can tell you that after a minor one day learning curve this phone has made me uniquely happy.

The Dual Core processor stripped away my Internet Browsing and Gaming woes. It's blazing fast and I've not seen a glimpse of lag once. The extra screen realestate (and HD display), believe it or not, makes a significant difference in viewing. The new UI is so slick I haven't even bothered to download my paid ADWEx app... though at some point I may get tired of blue (we'll see). After that, at least half of the new preloaded apps are super useful... some of my most used now are Quick-Office, MotoPrint, and the new File-browser and Task manager.

One of the most useful things I've come to find is the DLNA access. Basically gives me access to any server (or my PC, in my case) nearby and stream or download to and fro. Awesome for pics, movies, & videos. This feature is a preloaded app, but it's also integrated into critical areas such as the new Photo gallery. I swapped my SD over from my D1, so my gallery is a bit of a mess, but there's now options to create albums---which is pretty cool even if I haven't gotten to doing it yet. Likewise, I haven't toyed with the HDMI ports yet, so i'm not sure how well it translates to screen. But like I said, I wasn't looking for a media-oriented phone. I look at this option like a cool bonus.

I happened to like that the D1 had some weight to it, and the D3 does as well. The physical Keyboard is certainly improved, and much easier to type on (the buttons feel more like buttons). The notification light was an important thing for me to keep, because I rely on it pretty heavily at the office. It remains (thank heavens!) with the addition of the front-facing cam just next to it. As for taking pictures, lots of new options including some standard filters and a improved UI and reaction time at button-press.

My only real gripe is barely one... there's not a super cool clock widget, but hey, that's what the app market it for!

Overall, if you really like your D1, you will absolutely adore your D3. ;)

Last edited: