D2 Problems in general. Any help would be appriciated. (:

Reaction score

Over the last couple of days I have been browsing the forums, trying to find an answer to what appears to be a very common issue with the D2. Rebooting.

From what I read on most of the forms, a lot of users experience about 3-5 reboots per day, which while very annoying, is still not really enough to complicate the use of the device once it successfully reboots. (According to the posts I read, that is!) My device, however, has been giving me a little more issue. Today it has rebooted 15 times, and the day is not over yet. I have SBF'ed the phone out of simple curiosity to see if it might help, and replaced the battery. Due to the condition of it there was speculation that it might have simply been faulty, and at first it did run better, but by today it was right back to the same nasty old tricks.

I've been told by a couple of users as well as friends that rooting the phone and flashing it to liberty is the only way to correct the issue. I guess more or less I am simply curious as to if this is really my only option, because I am by no means a tech-savvy person, and my only root experience was with a DX and I have to admit I wasn't fond of it. The X restarted as much when it was rooted as my D2 does now, and my friends DX restarted even more after the ROM.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as this phone is my work phone and cannot be replaced until September.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I very rarely tell somebody to look at my post count, I'd like you to.

This doesn't make me smarter then anyone. It just means I spend an awful lot of time in the Forum. I've had the D2 since August. It's probably rebooted on me twice, the last time was shortly after I installed Gingerbread in it.

Now I'm not going to say that nobody ever says they have a problem with it. Matter of fact I understand it is an issue with D2G, you say you're talking about the D2.

Usually if any Droid reboots on it's own it means there is a problem with an app. So the first thing I ask is are you running a task killer or antivirus? If so delete them. The next thing I would do is a factory data reset. That should resolve that issue.

I really don't know about Liberty ROM to give a definitive opinion about it but let's just say it has issues too. Now probably what happens is people with issues likd this and install the Liberty ROM do a wipe, which is the same as a factory data reset. That's what actually fixes it.

That's my reommendation. Your apps will probably restore by themselves, including your free apps. I'm not going to guarantee it but that's the way it works.

I'm not trying to discourage you from rooting, that's up to you. i'm just giving you another way to solve your problem.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I very rarely tell somebody to look at my post count, I'd like you to.

This doesn't make me smarter then anyone. It just means I spend an awful lot of time in the Forum. I've had the D2 since August. It's probably rebooted on me twice, the last time was shortly after I installed Gingerbread in it.

Now I'm not going to say that nobody ever says they have a problem with it. Matter of fact I understand it is an issue with D2G, you say you're talking about the D2.

Usually if any Droid reboots on it's own it means there is a problem with an app. So the first thing I ask is are you running a task killer or antivirus? If so delete them. The next thing I would do is a factory data reset. That should resolve that issue.

I really don't know about Liberty ROM to give a definitive opinion about it but let's just say it has issues too. Now probably what happens is people with issues likd this and install the Liberty ROM do a wipe, which is the same as a factory data reset. That's what actually fixes it.

That's my reommendation. Your apps will probably restore by themselves, including your free apps. I'm not going to guarantee it but that's the way it works.

I'm not trying to discourage you from rooting, that's up to you. i'm just giving you another way to solve your problem.

oh come on....don't be modest....you know you are smarter than everyone else....just look at your post count ;)

i am just messing with you Hook.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I don't use my D2 anymore, but when I did, it didn't start having reboot problems until I installed better keyboard.

Odd though, I have it installed on my DX and I don't have that problem.

OP
catastrophicbliss
Reaction score
Thank you very much, Hook! I appreciate the advice! :] I am neither a ROM nor Root fan, so I guess some small part of me was hoping to hear that that wasn't my last resort, if even a resort at all!

As for Anti-Virus or Task Killer, I haven't used one on this device at all. It was bought used from a pal of mine so I'm not sure what she had on there beforehand, but she had the same rebooting issues and couldn't stand it anymore so she passed it on to me in hopes that I could fix it somehow.

I will certainly do a factory reset to see if it helps any. I use a very random mesh of apps, but I know a couple of them that might have a hand in causing possible issues. Mostly photo-editing ones. It's odd how it happens, really, because while I am actively using the device it rarely happens, it's almost always when I sit it down. When the phone reboots it usually reboots three times in a row, then for awhile it's alright, then it's off and on again in threes. In the short time it has taken me to write you this message it has rebooted four times, and by the way it's acting I expect it to go off on a fifth here any moment.

And as for my DX, I actually think that was an actual problem with the device itself because it had a lot of random issues that appeared to be more along the lines of something shorting out in the device itself. I never really had the chance to check it though, I had to sell the poor thing to make a bill payment so some man bought it, rooted it, and I never heard another thing about it.

OP
catastrophicbliss
Reaction score
Well, I factory restored, and three reboots so far. :/
I even can canceled the installation of my apps and left the phone with just it's core apps, and it's still rebooting.

Reaction score
Did your friend who owned it before you ever root and overclock the device? I'm no expert here and correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like someone may have overclocked it too far and caused damage to the hardware.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
catastrophicbliss
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of. She doesn't dabble into overclocking or any of that. She just bought it as an upgrade and it started rebooting a couple of months after she bought it, slow at first then it gradually started getting worse, which by then she couldn't return it, so she just sold it to me super cheap and used another line to get another device.

It hasn't restarted as much since I did the factory reset, but it's still restarting sporadically, and always in threes.

I will have to double check with her about the over-clocking though, just to be sure, because that does sound like a good reason for the phone to be acting this way.