Customize Your Android Device With Google's New Taste Test

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wa2UaRQTsqoDn7Vf7uUCvOERzYiT-fig-fUUBDpVrPkwwfxPGPxxzAuvkzM8UDkA-jKRO3RTJvh_V6NhRRbZlS6WLhFrG_L0ZDBUayLMm6xSaKWzLCos0YWGuklQbSXhA_DyLtnVPjS1Qq4Cs0sWeirjw3Ckx9JDiUhAYzsoiM-DOqALSbnklRcXciTDwDqQkIAuUjv8xFJnbOE_7UwPBIJ4xpevjJnXcfDX9BXm_ftTJcXL-g_RAhwoLmh5KQMM_RDp6AoXEumG41ZIG1bi55hRnN7fed-pTKZPK5KfHMjKsqtrR0vlqx7iZW0zwr5PuasfXxBePn554Sx1RGO40OZJ8VRxIuRKlN1IqJ-cG_BwhXNLkjYrlj3H21PJq8UlHvG4vOD5jf5fN5t1ZbJgrj4Kn74Mb1E1lp96RTMzwQ1VEE0qqUQ5v9n5UfGYSGData-UgHikouSBAtesYjrYkm1BCfz1_AFjtSwzAVZEO_O6oLtz0jp3_KoZY2UMUis9isiASsYx_Bh9oXXtoIg9KfNqMA7jQv_dHygM5aaGHuvENVHYZv-Pdob-Poej_9Zcaeb9fT--hwfDwk8w8WPyeqb7DiuaE9j4q2V2co4hiIzdMsaLurGU93_S5dOJRQVoO3oZVdgBudKximjJcZtdqZyOnY6zSEc9IUy4WmINeo8=w1234-h720-no
It's that legit? Cause that's awesome...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I was wondering how long that would be up until someone noticed!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I liked what it came up with for me. Got the same gray wallpaper many of you guys got, but it gave me a different launcher and icon pack than what I'm seeing you guys post.

I don't really feel the need to learn a new launcher and mess with icon packs, so I passed on it and kept with what I'm currently using, but I was impressed by the suggestion, because I really did like the look it gave me.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One of the suggestions I got for a launcher was Smart Launcher 3. I used Smart Launcher back when it didn't have a number (I guess same developer?) and it good below the stock dock and you pulled it up with an up gesture from the bottom of the screen. This was well before Nova and Go launchers.
As far as wallpapers they were too abstract for me, like different colors of smoke and cooking caramel at the same time, using Zedge . I make my own icons so nothing there was of interest at all and I got no suggestions for a keyboard other than the Google one. I'll stick with my so last decade setup.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I liked what it came up with for me. Got the same gray wallpaper many of you guys got, but it gave me a different launcher and icon pack than what I'm seeing you guys post.

I don't really feel the need to learn a new launcher and mess with icon packs, so I passed on it and kept with what I'm currently using, but I was impressed by the suggestion, because I really did like the look it gave me.
Which launcher did it suggest?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Which launcher did it suggest?

Oh yeah, sure. You think I remember that?

It wasn't one I was familiar with. Not even sure I've heard of it more than once, but I did like the look of the homscreen they showed me.

Sent from my Pixel XL

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh yeah, sure. You think I remember that?

It wasn't one I was familiar with. Not even sure I've heard of it more than once, but I did like the look of the homscreen they showed me.

Sent from my Pixel XL
You're mind can't be failing you already. It suggested Evie launcher for me, which I was already using. Pretty nice launcher.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ok, had to give this a try. I love my Lucid Launcher so I doubt I'll switch to their recommendation (Smart Launcher 3) but I'll try the icons and maybe the wallpaper.
a5cd854f522da8170aa30e2fc10ea5e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ok, had to give this a try. I love my Lucid Launcher so I doubt I'll switch to their recommendation (Smart Launcher 3) but I'll try the icons and maybe the wallpaper.
a5cd854f522da8170aa30e2fc10ea5e4.jpg

That's the launcher it recommended for me!

Sent from my Pixel XL

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
That's the launcher it recommended for me!

Sent from my Pixel XL
I love my Lucid Launcher. It's not your typical launcher but you can set up where your home screen has barely nothing on it yet a quick swipe will give you all your favorite apps.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I should really switch it up. I've had the same basic layout on my home screen for years. I'm a creature of habit. I can change those habits, but I choose not to.

When I started using the Google launcher, I had to tweak my standard setup because my main screen used to be in the middle with 2 on either side. Now the main one is at the far left.

Sent from my Pixel XL

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
The LL is quite different. You can set up multiple home screens but what is really nice is that your portrait home screens can be a completely different set up than your landscape home screens. My portrait screen only has a time/weather widget(Zooper). Turn it to landscape and my screen has direct dial shortcuts for my frequented peeps.

Portrait screen...
b56ac2f6a606024a3cf889a44a172eb4.jpg

Landscape screen...
c9092335011be17c397ad85136f15d97.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The LL is quite different. You can set up multiple home screens but what is really nice is that your portrait home screens can be a completely different set up than your landscape home screens. My portrait screen only has a time/weather widget(Zooper). Turn it to landscape and my screen has direct dial shortcuts for my frequented peeps.

Portrait screen...
b56ac2f6a606024a3cf889a44a172eb4.jpg

Landscape screen...
c9092335011be17c397ad85136f15d97.jpg

See? That's cool, but I think it'd drive me nuts until I got used to it. I have landscape rotation off on the Google launcher because I got so used to it not having it.

I did use it in other launchers back in the day, but same setup in both modes.

I can see how something like that would be handy, but it'd be my luck that I'd have it in the holder in my truck or something & not have the home screens in used to in portrait mode & get frustrated.

Sent from my Pixel XL

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I think I was introduced to the LL launcher by @smalltowngirl13 who did a great review a while back. I'll try to do a search later to see if I can find it.

I'm thinking I derailed the thread but we are still talking about how to "customize your Android..."