Google Adds a Bit More Fragmentation to Android with Custom Features on Nexus 5

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-5-listening.jpg

From the beginning of the Nexus line, Google has always been good at making sure the Android experience on Nexus devices remains in its purest form. The idea is that stock Android shows the full capabilities of the OS on Nexus devices without any customized features. If you take that stock Android and put it on another device, it should have the same features as any of the Nexus devices. Unfortunately, that is no longer true with the Nexus 5. It turns out there are a few custom features found on the Nexus 5 that will not be available if you install Android 4.4 KitKat on other devices. Here's a quote with more of the details,

The Android used on the Nexus 5 is pure Google, but according to J. R. Raphael of Computerworld, Google has confirmed that a few features on the Nexus 5 will not be part of KitKat distributed to other partners. These features include the home screen integration of Google Now and the ability to initiate a Google search by speaking "okay, Google" while on the home screen.

This is significant as the version of Android previously used on Nexus products has been the raw version that OEMs get for modification. With exclusive features on the Nexus 5, Google is behaving like its partners and customizing Android for its own products. It may give reasonable excuses for such customization, but the fact is now stock Android is fragmented, and by Google.

It's possible that some of these custom features can be implemented on other devices, but it's still a strange change of pace to see Google basically fork their own OS on their Nexus device, even if it is ever so slightly. What do you think of this odd move by Google which seems to increase fragmentation?

Source: ZDNet

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
lol....people have been beating the "fragmentation" drum since Android had like just 10% of the market

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
that kind of sucks. I wanted the "Ok Google" part on my 2013 Nexus 7. I tend to use it the most while watching TV and usually use voice commands during that use too. Its like when Apple brought out Siri but limited it to the newest of devices even though it ran just fine on past devices with a hack. This is why my devices are unlocked and rooted, so I can add these things a day or so after release.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Seems like a bit of tempest in a teapot to me. I wouldn't call it fragmentation per se -- we need a kinder, more gentler word -- how about "uniquification" or "device diversification index"? I'd put those few "special" features that Google reserves for its own devices on the same level as the skins that most manufacturers layer over the UI. Those aren't fragmentation so much as variations in the user experience. Guess I reserve the word fragmentation for when multiple OS versions exist over the population of devices, which this is not.

-Matt

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems like a bit of tempest in a teapot to me. I wouldn't call it fragmentation per se -- we need a kinder, more gentler word -- how about "uniquification" or "device diversification index"? I'd put those few "special" features that Google reserves for its own devices on the same level as the skins that most manufacturers layer over the UI. Those aren't fragmentation so much as variations in the user experience. Guess I reserve the word fragmentation for when multiple OS versions exist over the population of devices, which this is not.

-Matt

Thanks for clarifying that for us gadgetrants! I knew I could count on you to offer a more complex, yet oddly compelling argument! I love it!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Aw shucks. ;)

Actually I reread the OP and...in my first reading I thought everyone was getting the "OK Google" feature...and now realize THEY DON'T! ARGH...if that's one of the ones being held back I may need to rethink my position!

-Matt

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
That's now how I understand it. Everyone can get "OK GOOGLE" like my RAZR HD has, but the difference is you can say "OK Google" without having to open the GOOGLE NOW app.
Which I still don't get because isn't that already on the Mto X?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you can't beat em join em?
Google joining the carriers and manufacturers. Bummer

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

acousticshade

Reaction score
Competition is getting tougher. Gotta differentiate if you want market share when the G2 and S4 are $50 on contract.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
It's marketing not fragmentation. In the end they still gotta try and sell units and having something the others don't is a selling point.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
That's now how I understand it. Everyone can get "OK GOOGLE" like my RAZR HD has, but the difference is you can say "OK Google" without having to open the GOOGLE NOW app.
Which I still don't get because isn't that already on the Mto X?

Motorola probably made their own way of having that happen which is unique to Moto phones. Google is doing it so its integrated with their launcher and system wide. Though my Nexus 7 will be 4.4 very soon, that integration, though possible, is being left out so you have to launch Google Now first. I want to be able to say Ok Google no matter what my phone is doing and have it pop up.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
While we're discussing the always-on voice feature, I do have a minor complaint: it's taken me a while to realize that the function is routed through Google Now, which means it's pretty much designed/optimized to do search-y type things, like:

- Navigate to X
- Find phone number for Y
- Get song lyrics for W
- Find an image of Z
- Get the weather/time

You can also say things like:

- Email Fred
- Call Mary
- Text Joe

Strangely, what I eventually discovered is you CANNOT do or request a whole bunch of really basic system things, like:

- Turn on/off wifi...sound...GPS...data...etc.
- Check remaining battery life
- Check if there are text/email/voice messages

I wonder why. I can say, "OK Google, what time is it?" but I can't say, "OK Google, turn off wifi," or "...do I have any email messages?"

WAIT, CHECK THAT...I just took a peek at "Car Mode" on my phone and first, WOW is it clumsy, and second, OK yeah I can do a bit more with voice (e.g., there is a "check for new messages" option but it appears to only work for SMS and guess what I use Google Voice and it didn't see those messages). Overall not very impressive.

So one more ray of hope -- my wife has the Moto X which comes with some additional hands-free options. I'll play with those tonight and see if I can do more than generic Google searches and send texts or call.

-Matt

PS I realize (assume) that there are several hands-free voice-recognition apps out there that are a heck more versatile. I'm not saying "the features don't exist" but rather "why so severely handicap what the Google Now voice integration can do?"