Custom Recovery Image

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know if its a program or another command or what. Others have reported it working fine so I wonder what we're not doing. I thought maybe the commands should be run via adb but it says to run it on the phone so I don't know.

toka

Reaction score
@gardobus : sdcard is noexec - you need to copy the binary elsewhere in order to run it. do an ls -l to verify the permissions

brianr0131

Reaction score
type ls /sdcard and you'll see a list of the files on your sd card

When i do this I see both the recovery-0.08.img and the flash_image files. Do you?

This is frustrating

boostdscoob

Reaction score
would it affect anything if we rename the recovery? maybe its an issue with the 0's.. idk.. im lost.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
@gardobus : sdcard is noexec - you need to copy the binary elsewhere in order to run it. do an ls -l to verify the permissions
Damn seriously? Then why would the instructions not have you move it?

Is there a temporary area or something where I can put it without just randomly throwing it somewhere?

toka

Reaction score
Damn seriously? Then why would the instructions not have you move it?

Is there a temporary area or something where I can put it without just randomly throwing it somewhere?

yep... seriously =)

personally, I had copied it into my /system/xbin (where I had also placed busybox) - figured it was probably a tool I wanted to keep on the phone... we'll ignore the fact that i somehow managed to wind up with a brick later on... (yep even with the custom recovery image (0.07))

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just to be sure, copying flash_image to /system/xbin and flashing the recovery image had nothing to do with the bricking right? LOL

Brian7

Reaction score
if flash_image is in the root of the sdcard, you'll have to run
'/sdcard/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img' since flash_image is not in your $PATH

toka

Reaction score
Do we need busybox to run this?

i don't believe it's a dependency for this tool... but i'm not sure

the base os is pretty difficult to navigate without the builtin applets busybox has (which, uptime, uname, ifconfig, less, etc...) - so you may want to consider placing it in your/system/xbin (which is in your PATH) - to get into the busybox shell, simply type busybox sh (sh is still /system/bin/sh) - you'll have a PS1 set and get some better tab completion (and all those useful commands) - just my $.02 on that though =)

Bear in NM

Reaction score
I tried many of the steps posted above, and I get no further than "image not found".

Perhaps this will help us. When I unzip the Flash_Image, I get a 26 kb file that has no extension. My recovery-0.08.img file is 3116 kb in size. I am using winXP, and have been using terminal emulater with SU. The files LS fine on the SD root/home directory. I also tried copying the Flash_Image folder with the Flash_image extensionless file onto the SD. No luck.

Gotta be a missing something, or perhaps those of us with problems have a common denominator that we need to link.

Craig

I posted this while the path post was being typed. Makes sense, but the brick comment has me a little concerned.

Last edited:

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
5) Opened up terminal emulator and tried all of the following from the $ prompt AND the # (su) prompt:

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.08.img
/sdcard/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.08.img

I also tried to cd into /sdcard/ and run the same two commands. I tried

./flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.08.img

also and that didn't work.

if flash_image is in the root of the sdcard, you'll have to run
'/sdcard/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img' since flash_image is not in your $PATH
didn't work :icon_eek:

toka

Reaction score
Just to be sure, copying flash_image to /system/xbin and flashing the recovery image had nothing to do with the bricking right? LOL

HAHA - think it was more with what i did after getting the recovery image installed =) - went through a couple reboots (install recovery-0.07, boot to recovery to validate, reboot to android, reboot to recovery to validate roll-back, boot to android, reinstall recovery-0.07, disable auto-reflash of recovery - then i had a whole serious of reboots as i planned to replace the animation.zip, and only then bricked)

for anybody curious, brick symptoms included inability to enter recovery image - so it's possible even with this software to have a shiny new paperweight.