Custom Recovery Image

brianr0131

Reaction score
I went to the wiki and tried installing this recovery image on my droid and I don't know how to follow the instructions correctly its says:

Run the following on your Droid
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.08.img

I tried doing this through the terminal emulator program and it doesn't work.Can someone point me in the right direction?

dudeitsmattx

Reaction score
Ok so let me get this str8. So you need to add this file to ur sdcard from the computer via usb. And this file will make it so if I brick my phone I will be able to still add the file to un-brick my phone?

Brian7

Reaction score
I went to the wiki and tried installing this recovery image on my droid and I don't know how to follow the instructions correctly its says:

I tried doing this through the terminal emulator program and it doesn't work.Can someone point me in the right direction?

Did you unzip the flash_image first?

brianr0131

Reaction score

Did you unzip the flash_image first?

Yes I did. I unzipped and put the 2 files onto sd card at root level.

I then opened terminal emulator typed su then typed flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.08.img

No good

Last edited:

boostdscoob

Reaction score
not to be a smartass, but did you dismount your phone, or is it still hooked up to the computer?

bots

Reaction score
You should do it before hand, then you can reboot into recovery to see if it worked, then reboot normally into android and it won't reflash the old recovery.image.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I'm stuck. This is what I did:

1) Downloaded t
he flash_image.zip and recovery-0.08.img
2) Extracted flash_image from the zip file.
3) Copied flash_image (NOT the zip) and the .img file to my sd card.
4) Safely removed and then dismounted the sd card so it is accessible by the phone.
5) Opened up terminal emulator
and tried all of the following from the $ prompt AND the # (su) prompt:

/sdcard/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.08.img

I also tried to cd into /sdcard/ and run the same two commands. I tried

./flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.08.img

also and that didn't work.

Am I going about this the wrong way? I also noticed that someone mentioned disabling the stock recovery. I didn't see anything about that in the instructions, how do I go about doing that?

I'm an Android noob but I have some linux experience. Do I need to chown flash_image or something?
Reboot your phone into recovery mode, and you will be able to use the updated recovery.

brianr0131

Reaction score
I entered the commands for blocking the stock recovery first, and still the 2nd part where I flash the recovery image is not working. I am going to delete the 2 files re download them and put on sd card again.

boostdscoob

Reaction score
im getting the error flash_image not found... also, the first time i tried, i lost mount ability, had to reinstall drivers..
anyone have any insight as to why its not recognizing? should i try through adb?

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, the command which seems to get me the farthest is:

/sdcard/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.08.img

What I get from that is:

/sdcard/flash_image: permission denied

I get that even when I su to the # prompt. Any ideas?