Custom Kernel

ZaChYmO

Reaction score
Runs like a beaut, however the smartass governor crashes my phone. Luckily interactive is still around ;)

Here is the original kernel from Jamezelle.

Yes, after each boot I go to Terminal and type in
su
swapon /dev/block/ramzswap0

This turns the swap on.

Compcache seems not to work on version MIUI 1.1.7 -- i cant init Jamazelles, p3 nor slay--

Last edited:
Reaction score
Runs like a beaut, however the smartass governor crashes my phone. Luckily interactive is still around ;)

Here is the original kernel from Jamezelle.

Yes, after each boot I go to Terminal and type in
su
swapon /dev/block/ramzswap0

This turns the swap on.

Compcache seems not to work on version 1.1.7 -- i cant init Jamazelles, p3 nor slay--

I am running miui 1.1.7 with Jamezelle 250-1100 kernel, interactive govenor through SetCPU, compache on, SD card partitioned so I can use it for swap.

After a normal reboot, all i do is go to terminal and type "su" and then "swapon /dev/block/ramzswap0" to enable swap. This can be verified if you then do the "free" command.

Maybe your D1 just doesn't play nice with compcache.

I can tell you that I never had a problem with Chevy or Slayher kernels either. I guess my D1 is a beast!

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge of kernels, compcache, and swap can add to this. I am a novice, at best, but I will say that through my experience with MIUI, Liquid, Bugless, and DroidMod, in order to get the best results, don't cut any corners. ALWAYS WIPE, CLEAR CACHE AND START FRESH WITH A ROM and NEVER RESTORE SYSTEM INFO FROM A PREVIOUS ROM. I even do this with the weekly updates from MIUI. That's what makes apps like Titanium and ROM Manager so important.

It's all a little time consuming but it's worth it IMHO.

Last edited:

texstar420

Reaction score
sorry Jamez bootlooping on mine no chance to play w/ governor.. =(

sorry yea it doesnt like some people lol

Opps hit submit on accident....... I've tried chevy1 kernel but it ran to hot. I'm currently running with slayher uvlow with one complaint, the wifi acts like switching in and out of sleep mode. So...... my point...... what did you cook up jam? What should I expect?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

its based on p3droid but i reverted some of his commits, and added the smartass governor, which is still very experimental.

Installed and testing. So far it seems to be pretty snappy, however SetCPU is no longer reporting the CPU temperature. I'll report back on battery life tomorrow. Thanks Jam! Oh, how can I tell if compcache is enabled?

if you manually
Code:
insmod /system/lib/modules/omap34xx_temp.ko
temp monitoring should work fine. i may have to add a script to load it on boot. to check compcache in a terminal run
Code:
free
it should output something like
Code:
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:       231740       223116         8624            0           28
 [B]Swap:        96380         8500        87880[/B]
Total:       328120       231616        96504
the bold being the compcache
you can also do
Code:
rzscontrol /dev/block/ramzswap0 --stats
which should output something like
Code:
BackingSwap:	/dev/block/mmcblk0p3
DiskSize:	   96390 kB
MemLimit:	   30720 kB
NumReads:	    2690
NumWrites:	    4281
FailedReads:	       0
FailedWrites:	       0
InvalidIO:	       0
NotifyFree:	       0
ZeroPages:	     246
GoodCompress:	     100 %
NoCompress:	       0 %
PagesStored:	    2857
PagesUsed:	     740
OrigDataSize:	   11428 kB
ComprDataSize:	    2917 kB
MemUsedTotal:	    2960 kB
BDevNumReads:	     798
BDevNumWrites:	    1178
but if you dont have a swap partition on your sdcard like i do mmcblk0p3 then it wont show the backingswap section

Jam how do I get a swap partition on my sdcard. What is the process? What will this do. I have heard about this mmcblk0p3 before. I mean I know I can google it but I would rather your take on it if you don't mind sharing. Also once I get this swap partition how do I enable compcache? Do I need a particular kernel to have it. BTW I have enable it once before but that was awhile ago and I would like a new clear explanation so I don't mess anything up.
Thanks Jam

ZaChYmO

Reaction score
I am running miui 0.1.7 with Jamezelle 250-1100 kernel, interactive govenor through SetCPU, compache on, SD card partitioned so I can use it for swap.

After a normal reboot, all i do is go to terminal and type "su" and then "swapon /dev/block/ramzswap0" to enable swap. This can be verified if you then do the "free" command.

Maybe your D1 just doesn't play nice with compcache.

I can tell you that I never had a problem with Chevy or Slayher kernels either. I guess my D1 is a beast!

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge of kernels, compcache, and swap can add to this. I am a novice, at best, but I will say that through my experience with MIUI, Liquid, Bugless, and DroidMod, in order to get the best results, don't cut any corners. ALWAYS WIPE, CLEAR CACHE AND START FRESH WITH A ROM and NEVER RESTORE SYSTEM INFO FROM A PREVIOUS ROM. I even do this with the weekly updates from MIUI. That's what makes apps like Titanium and ROM Manager so important.

It's all a little time consuming but it's worth it IMHO.

LOL Agree.. yes I do it all the way myself no shortcuts! I dont think I would have to wipe to install kernel prvs versions ddnt have tht problm I guess it dont hurt to try..
what quadrand score are you getting? last score ive got on og Jamezelles kernel without compcache was over 1400, not bad.. w/ p3 im getting highest 1501 on 1.25ghz st volt and very noticeble on MIUI specially when playing w/ launcher transitions!

Reaction score
No. I don't wipe just changing kernels. ROMS always get a wipe.

Here's a screenshot of quadrant. This is with a class 2 sd card. I have a class 10 card on order.
aefc4825-ef79-5d1d.jpg

ZaChYmO

Reaction score
NIce! Yes but i will do so and cleanin casesomthngs corruptd...

ZaChYmO

Reaction score
yup I did a Wipe and sure enough installed jamezelles interactve 1.1ghz kerrnel enabled compcache by this commands:
#rmzcontrol /dev/block/ramzswap0 --init
#swapon /dev/block/ramzswap0
Compcach wont start unless initilizw (#rmzcontrol /dev/block/ramzswap0 --init)
I wish i was savvy enough to permanantly start compcache but noone seems to gve a straight answer if even possible..
Anyway...
jamezelles kernel w/ compcache enabled has given me highest quadrant scores so far @ 1540 vs p3 no compcache high 1501. P3 is consistent though scores stays high from 1490-1501 vs jamezelles 1290-1540?? either way im very pleased with both need a lil more time and see wichone is best..

****wipe did it for me though!

iamasongnow

Reaction score
so right after i flash his kernel, what exactly do i do?

i use to use compcache on every miui release up until it started giving me "compcache: permission denied" on 12.11

i would flash a slayher or p3 kernel, install that slayher compcache fix or ramzswap.zip and type compcache into the terminal.... not sure why it hasn't been working.

ZaChYmO

Reaction score
so right after i flash his kernel, what exactly do i do?

i use to use compcache on every miui release up until it started giving me "compcache: permission denied" on 12.11

i would flash a slayher or p3 kernel, install that slayher compcache fix or ramzswap.zip and type compcache into the terminal.... not sure why it hasn't been working.

Go into emulator
#su
#rzscontrol /dev/block/ramzswap0 --init
#swapon /dev/block/ramzswap0

I couldnt get to enable Compcache for P3,Slay's nor Jamezelles either in MIUI version 1.1.7 -- I had to do a complete wipe.
Compcache workes now currently on Jamez havent tryed P3 yet im pleased w/ Jamez so far

Last edited:

aamzalag

Reaction score
im in a slight conundrum, I loaded this kernal the jamezzele one which seems to be working great. I am having a slight problem tho. My sdcard has been formated to have a 512 mb EXT partition, a 32 mb linux swap and the rest normal. But for some reason when i type free its using the 512 EXT partition as my swap mem causing my phone to hold about 140 mb of apps on the swap slowing it down immensly. Also i havent had to run any scripts to get the swap workin... it just turns on when i turn on my phone. Any help would be great! pTHANSK!

jamezelle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
v0.2 kernel

removed smartass governor for now (until i get the values right)
built-in ext2/3/4 support
cpu temp module working
fixed on-boot compcache script (will now only use swap partitions for backing swap not ext2/3/4 ones :))
ipv6 and cputemp module load on boot.

nandroid backup before flashing anything, as usual

DOWNLOAD: jamezelle-kernel-v0.2-250-1100-compcache

Reaction score
Thanks Jamezelle. Works like a charm. I also put my new class 10 sd card in. very nice!

frankjaegar

Reaction score
So I'm having an interesting problem here... I can't seem to install your v0.2 kernel Jamezelle. I boot into Clockwork, select the .zip and install, and it runs the lines and says that it installs correctly... yet when I reboot, I still have the 800MHz stock kernel (I just fresh installed).
Anyone else having the issue?

Warrior

Reaction score
So I'm having an interesting problem here... I can't seem to install your v0.2 kernel Jamezelle. I boot into Clockwork, select the .zip and install, and it runs the lines and says that it installs correctly... yet when I reboot, I still have the 800MHz stock kernel (I just fresh installed).
Anyone else having the issue?

+1 Same problem you're having. I uninstalled setcpu then reinstalled it with the same issue. I also reflashed the kernel.