1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Cruise ship heading, speed, etc

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by monkeydog, Jun 2, 2010.

1. monkeydog

monkeydog New Member

I'm going to be going on a cruise in a few weeks and wondering if anyone has experience with any apps to see speed, heading, etc.
    At the moment I plan on using GPS status to see this information unless anyone has recommendations otherwise
    Since it is $20 or so per mb for data roaming on cruise ships my data will be off, so I know I won't be able to use maps to see where we are.
  2. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I don't remember the details but I know there's a thread here about someone getting an astronomical charge on their phone bill while on a cruise and evidently didn't even make a call.

Good luck, have fun!
  3. monkeydog

monkeydog New Member

lol yeah... GPS still works while in airplane mode so my phone is going to be in airplane mode the entire trip to avoid that.
  4. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Haven't tested this myself but I've heard that 3G needs to be on for the Droid to get its initial fix. Apparently, while it can fall back to standalone it needs 3G on (whether data is available or not) for the initial fix.

Been meaning to test this myself since it would be simple to do but just haven't had a chance yet.

I recall seeing a GPS speedometer app that might do what you're looking for if you're just looking for instantaneous information. If you want to track the ship, My Tracks should do the job.
  5. dakster

dakster New Member

As I found out in Japan, 3G does *NOT* have to be on to get an initial gps fix. The CDMA voice radio has to be on, not the data radio. Once you have that initial gps fix, you can flip airplane mode on.

Here's some info I posted on another forum to show how to disable the data, but leave the cdma voice radio active:
    Motorola support says GPS won't work in airplane mode? - Android Forums
  6. Neupy

Neupy New Member

Maybe use MapDroyd...and see if you can download sea charts instead of just state maps? I use it sometimes for offline maps and it works pretty good. The maps are on SD card too which is nice.
  7. dakster

dakster New Member

Maverick Pro is another one that works with offline maps, I've had good luck with it traveling. I make the offline maps using mobile atlas creator. Mapdroyd might be easier to make maps for, not sure.

Rmaps is another one I believe. Lots of options for offline maps.
  8. Neupy

Neupy New Member

Yeah mapdroid just downloads maps...not sure if they have ocean maps...your way might work better
  9. Neupy

Neupy New Member

Ok in the downloads it list's all the carribean islands and also under the Americas a "detailed shoreline" that one is a 120 meg download...not sure how far out it goes.
  10. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

I can not help, but please post back if you find a solution. I would be interested

On my cruise last summer (pre-Droid) I took my car GPS. It gave me long/lat and speed with an obviously blank screen for maps. We left port at 4pm, first thing the next morning I got the fix with my GPS. I looked at the Nav chart that was on the wall outside of the fan tail dinning area just before breakfast. Finding the long/lat on the chart, I was telling my wife, we should be close enough to see Cuba shortly. From over my shoulder some guy told me I was full of BS and there is no way we made it that far over night, cruise ships are slow. As if on que we heard... this is your Captain speaking, if you look off the port side you will see the coast line of Cuba...
  11. mcsinfl

mcsinfl New Member

you might want to look at navionics in the market
  12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Check out Backcountry Navigator. It's not in the market, but there's a beta apk on their website. Open it up when you have data and use it to download topo maps of the areas you're expecting to go. Then when you go on the cruise, put the droid in airplane mode and turn on the GPS. You should be able to see where you are on the map and track your progress without needing any data.

This thread is worth taking a look at:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...s-gps-wont-work-airplane-mode.html#post408901

Apparently if you have airplane mode activated, you can't get the initial GPS lock, but once you have a lock, you can keep it activated in airplane mode. Alternatively, you can disable JUST the data usage using the code mentioned.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  13. mcatdtDroid

mcatdtDroid New Member

this has :dewmed: written all over it... but other than the 'cool factor' of doing this.... is there a point. I mean, I like the apps I have too, but considering how many boobies are going to be sunning while you are trying to see which direction the ship is going...

of course, if you take pics of said boobies on your droid....
  14. monkeydog

monkeydog New Member

Wow thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check them out. Thanks everyone. We have a car gps as well that we might take along to try out if we have nothing better to do while lounging around. But its a Dash Express... I don't even think it has canadian maps and since Dash was bought out awhile ago there has been absolutely no support or updates to the device; it might as well be trashed, but maybe it will still give us speed.

This is a canadian cruise, from nyc couple stops in canada, so I'm not anticipating too much of this at least not as much as a caribbean cruise lol. It's not even going to reach 70 up there this week, maybe it will be different in a few weeks, we shall see but it would be a bit nipply for sunbathing on the sky deck out at sea if the temps don't get higher. Although the dance club has potential because of this!
    It's going to mainly a relaxation and exploration cruise. Went to panama last year, a beach is a beach so trying something different this year can't wait to go whale watching in halifax!
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  15. Devious

Devious New Member

I have downloaded Mobile Atlas Creator and created a TileStore/Mapnik folder with a bunch of .png files on my C:\ drive (I selected scale 12 for the whole of the US) Exactly where do I place these .png files on my Droid please?
    I have tried several locations with no off line success.
    Thanks for you help.
    Regards.......david
  16. timrenzi573

timrenzi573 New Member

Did you check with verizon to see if this particular cruise line/ship is covered by the international data plan? I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise in June and my ship was , so I got unlimited data while I was on the ship & the islands for about 1.15$ a day (Plan is an extra 35$ a month and they prorate it for however long you have it activated)
  17. Sweet Kitten Feet

Sweet Kitten Feet New Member

ZP Dashboard might have what you want. It's more of a head's up display type thing. But gives bearing speed, lat/long. It's free so download and see. You can always uninstall.
  18. stakeout

stakeout New Member

cruisin' with the Droid 2

older thread... but I'll add my 2ยข... we do a lot of cruises... always take along a GPS ... from my old Magellen.. to the Garmins... Mariner.. then etrex...then more recently the Oregon 450..which is Geocache friendly...

been using my Droid 2 for Geocaching since I got it 2 weeks ago...have the Geocaching.com app for it.. w*rks pretty darn good.. actually it w*rks better than the Oregon 450 as it uploads any field notes via 3G directly to the Geocahing site..

will try it on our next cruise which is in about 10 days
Search tags for this page
android gps cruise ship

cruise gps app

does phone gps work on a cruise

gps cruising apps

gps on cruise ship
is there gps on cruise ships?
navionics android display speed heading

navionics caribbean apk

navionics caribbean.apk

phone gps work on cruise