Could the Moto X be Motorola's Phoenix Feather?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto_x_720.png

Picture source androidguys.com.

Over the past 8 months or so we have heard repeated rumors about a new flagship device from Motorola called the X Phone. It was supposedly the first collaboration between Motorola and Google after the acquisition. Speculation about the phone ran rampant with a wide variety of exciting imagined possibilities. At the end of last week, Motorola officially announced the device proving once and for all that the mythical device actually existed. After it was announced at the D11 conference, some might argue that the special features announced for the new device may actually exceed our initial expectations.

Of course, there is still a great deal we don't know about the phone, so we must be vigilant not to fall prey to "pie in the sky" thinking. It's still possible that everything we heard was simply marketing hype and the device could be a let down. Ultimately we don't have enough real information to make that judgement just yet, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss it further. We want to hear what you guys think of the known information about the Moto X. We even have some questions to pose to you.

We have to admit that Motorola has fallen a long way. Currently only Samsung really makes a decent enough profit off of Android, with LG coming in second and everyone else (including Motorola) digging themselves out of a hole. Much of what happened to Moto was their own fault. Many of their policies alienated their hardcore customers. For a while they were making far too many devices and many of them were sub-par. It's no wonder some of their biggest fans of the past are now just disgruntled customers.

More than likely, most of that is poised to change. Motorola is now owned by Google and has a new CEO that is a former Google head exec. They have reorganized and restructured and have been very quiet for some time now. We can't help but think this is merely the calm before the storm. The company still has a huge loyal following, and now they are about to get back in the game in a big way. The new "pseudo-self-aware" aspects of the Moto X seem more cutting edge than anything else out there. If they can really pull off their claims it will prove that Motorola and Google are still on the bleeding edge of innovation.

What do you guys think of the possibilities of the new Moto X? If Moto's new device is really as amazing as they are making it out to be, and if they can reverse some of their anti-community policies, do you think you will reconsider them? Can Motorola rise to become an industry leader again? Share your perspective.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
This phone is going to have to be the baddest eff'ing phone ever released. I'm talking bad... meaning pass out when you pull it out of your pocket AWESOME. Because according to the numbers everyone interested in Android just ran out to buy an S4 or HTC One. That means that it's just left-overs for Moto if they try to release something big.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You make a good point, but don't forget there are still a ton of people out there who don't own smartphones yet, or will have their contract renewal in the fall when this phone is likely to launch. Of course, it will have to compete with the next iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 at that time, so your point is still valid. Of course, consumers can be fickle...

civiksi

Reaction score
I'm hoping this phone is really bad a**. My wife and I are still rocking Droid X's. Ye,a you read that right. They are on their last leg. I have to get something really soon so I'm hoping this phone will amaze. Also I want to keep my unlimited on verizon. I am willing to pay full price for a phone. Hoping they sell these in the play store and they are available on all carriers. If its a let down I'll probably go with a sammy.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You make a good point, but don't forget there are still a ton of people out there who don't own smartphones yet, or will have their contract renewal in the fall when this phone is likely to launch. Of course, it will have to compete with the next iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 at that time, so your point is still valid. Of course, consumers can be fickle...

Yes but most of them do not follow forums like this to keep up with the "x" plus when they do walk in to a store to buy a smart phone they either going to gravitate to what the believe is popular based on what co-workers own (galaxy devices or iphones) or they going to look at a cheap smart phone. Motorola hurt themselves especially with last year's tank of the razr (maxx) hd. They post specs that were not really competitive and then release it right up against the note 2 which showed customers how far behind motorola truly was. Motorola can not keep releasing subpar specs for 299.99 late in the year. If they are going to release a device late at 299.99 then the specs need to be forward thinking. At this point they should be quad core (or more) with at least an eight mp camera any thing less might as well be a BLU product.

Blu Products: Vivo465

realged13

Reaction score
They better hope it is a big device or no one is going to buy a Motorola again, I sure won't. I like my OG Razr Maxx, but there could be some improvements. I've always like Motorola phone's because they are decent and they look really modern. I don't like the feel and look of the S4, but eventually might move to their line.

Reaction score
I'm really excited for this phone just from what has been rumored but then again I was also really excited for the Bionic when it was first rumored and leaked but look what happened to that. I fear that the X-phone is going to be a lot like the Bionic in that it takes forever to hit and when it does the specs are already outdated.

I honestly will probably never buy a Moto phone again unless this phone is extraordinary. Hell, if Google would just release the Nexus 4 with LTE I would already be rid of my Bionic.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes but most of them do not follow forums like this to keep up with the "x" plus when they do walk in to a store to buy a smart phone they either going to gravitate to what the believe is popular based on what co-workers own (galaxy devices or iphones) or they going to look at a cheap smart phone. Motorola hurt themselves especially with last year's tank of the razr (maxx) hd. They post specs that were not really competitive and then release it right up against the note 2 which showed customers how far behind motorola truly was. Motorola can not keep releasing subpar specs for 299.99 late in the year. If they are going to release a device late at 299.99 then the specs need to be forward thinking. At this point they should be quad core (or more) with at least an eight mp camera any thing less might as well be a BLU product.

Blu Products: Vivo465

You are assuming they will launch at a $299.99 price point. With Google now at the helm, there is no reason to assume that will be the case and every reason to think it might launch cheaper than $200. I agree with you about hurting themselves in many ways though. It will take some big changes in the way they do things to regain the trust of many of the folks who feel burned by Motorola. What do you think it will take for them to do that?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You are assuming they will launch at a $299.99 price point.

I doubt Google is going to operate Moto at a loss. Subsidizing an experience device is one thing, subsidizing a business is a whole other story. Google did it with a tablet because there was a large market share opportunity. I don't see that in the phone space.

If Moto can't make a profit, Google will shut it down and keep the patents.

xavierwoods

Reaction score
What it needs is

5" 1080p display (because it will most likely have on screen buttons so that'll give at least 4.8" of use)
2.1 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 (if the 600 in the S4 is clocked to 1.9 GHz this is probably being generous with the clocking speed)
2 GB of RAM
16/32/64 GB of internal and expandable to 64 GB
3,700-4,000 mAh battery non removable (with a battery like that you have no reason to change batteries throughout the day plus removable battery takes away from build quality)
Kevlar/ and some time of metal backing
Stock Android. The value add in stock android itself needs to go up though. like adding SMS support to Hangouts and making Hangouts the new Messaging app for Android 4.3/5.0

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont know....its gonna be hard to release a phone that so amazing that it make ppl pass out and forget about the One and Galaxy line. I stay a Moto fan for simple reasons...but HTC and Samsung always had the edge for multi media features. I think the majority of phone buyers want the multi media features first.

Moto is gonna have to have some specific software feature(s) that makes ppl 2nd guess getting a One or Galaxy phone...because there isnt too much more that can be done with hardware specs at this time. They HAVE to at least match most of the specs of the One and GS4. And it doesnt hurt that it will probably have Droid advertising.

Regardless.....I will be getting one when it comes out.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
What it needs is

5" 1080p display (because it will most likely have on screen buttons so that'll give at least 4.8" of use)
2.1 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 (if the 600 in the S4 is clocked to 1.9 GHz this is probably being generous with the clocking speed)
2 GB of RAM
3,700-4,000 mAh battery non removable (with a battery like that you have no reason to change batteries throughout the day plus removable battery takes away from build quality)
Stock Android. The value add in stock android itself needs to go up though. like adding SMS support to Hangouts and making Hangouts the new Messaging app for Android 4.3/5.0

I agree with a lot of what you had to say. I really like the SMS/Hangout integration idea. I have been wishing Google would do this since the iMessage integration in iOS. Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not allow Verizon to lock the stupid friggin bootloader.

WestOkid

Reaction score
I doubt Google is going to operate Moto at a loss. Subsidizing an experience device is one thing, subsidizing a business is a whole other story. Google did it with a tablet because there was a large market share opportunity. I don't see that in the phone space.

If Moto can't make a profit, Google will shut it down and keep the patents.

$200 subsidized is not operating at a loss. Every flagship operates at that price point.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Agree with WestoKID. It will probaby be $200 for the 16GB and $250 for the 32.
$300 is NOT the standard "starting point".

Personally I don't wait for phones. I think it's stupid. I get whatever phone is on the market when my contract ends. I am not chasing the latest and greatest. My contract ended 2 months ago. I wasn't dealing with the Dinc2 for 3 more months until the ONE came out or 9 more months waiting an a hopeful X announcement. ANd are they going to announce in Oct but not ship til January as is saldy the case nowadays with most ANdroid handset makers? Tired fo that s--- too.
At least when Apple announces you can order the new device within a week.
THat's how it should be done.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
What it needs is

2 GB of RAM

Agreed outside of the screen size. I would like a smaller screen in a high end device. Motorola announced a few months ago they were going to show the market that screen size is not everything. I don't want anything bigger than the RAZR M but I feel I am in the minority. I still want my mobile phone to be mobile and not a tablet.