Could a Honeycomb tablet replace a laptop?

tlozano09

Reaction score
My laptop is starting to feel really old and i would like to get a new one but i have also been seriously considering purchasing a tablet later this year.

do you guys think a tablet with accessories (keyboard, mouse, stand), could replace a windows laptop for school?

i am in college so i really can only afford one or the other but i am leaning more towards a laptop because i need it for school work.

I have to write a ton of papers and make powerpoint presentations mostly.

any ideas?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i wouldn't really trust a talet to fully replace a laptop but i guess it's possible. i think open office suite or whatever it's called would satisfy your needs for essays and maybe powerpoint docs. you could probably make it work, but just fyi if you are interested in using it to take lecture notes, most of the proffesors at my school see tablets as toys and don't allow them in class een thoug they're fine with laptops.

OP
T

tlozano09

Reaction score
that's weird, i see people with ipads in class all the time.

I guess i need to play around with a honeycomb tablet tablet more before i decide to purchase one.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ya i would def play around with it, but ya you could prob make it work. and that's cool that your profs are cool with tabs.

illmatic636

Reaction score
My laptop is starting to feel really old and i would like to get a new one but i have also been seriously considering purchasing a tablet later this year.

do you guys think a tablet with accessories (keyboard, mouse, stand), could replace a windows laptop for school?

i am in college so i really can only afford one or the other but i am leaning more towards a laptop because i need it for school work.

I have to write a ton of papers and make powerpoint presentations mostly.

any ideas?

No way can a tablet replace a laptop at this time. Unless you get a Dell Latitude XT2 but it's windows 7, not Android

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It depends, over in the iPad forum I see this discussed a lot. It depends on whether or not the tablet has everything you need on it.

Now for me the iPad is perfect. Has everything I need, and I'm not saying it's better then a Honeycomb tablet, please don't misunderstand me. I do use a BT keyboard, but Apples is a very tiny one and easy to carry around.

But if you have to do a lot of documentation work I don't know how well they would do. I imagine printing wouldn't be an issue with a USB on it.

I still see them as two separate devices, but others say it works great.

OP
T

tlozano09

Reaction score
Yea i think you guys are all right. I guess i need to wait till android tablets drop down near $200-300 before it would be financially feasible to consider one.

all i can do is dream for now :(

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Nothing will replace the computer. I refuse to buy into these iPad and Tab things... If someone gave me one I would gladly use it, but its no replacement...

OP
T

tlozano09

Reaction score
Nothing will replace the computer. I refuse to buy into these iPad and Tab things... If someone gave me one I would gladly use it, but its no replacement...
I guess when i think about it, i'm not necessarily trying to replace my laptop, i am more or less trying to substitute it with a tablet that can do most of the features my laptop can do.
Mostly i like the mobile aspect of a tablet. I personally hate lugging around my 17inch hp to class. i think it would be nice to have a tablet for my daily stuff and whip out my laptop if i need it for something my tablet cant do.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Again, it depends on what you want it to do.

Now I can't run Microsoft on my iPad so I need a computer to access Quicken. But outside of that I can do just about anything. I can play music from my iTunes (stream) and I can also direct it to play to my Airport and my sound system. I can't do it quite as easily as I can with a computer but still it can be done.

Tablets are great. And they are here to stay.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yeah and anything they can't do now, they will probably be able to do soon. i don't think they will ever replace laptops entirely but they will surely become a viable alternative.

OP
T

tlozano09

Reaction score

Again, it depends on what you want it to do.

Now I can't run Microsoft on my iPad so I need a computer to access Quicken. But outside of that I can do just about anything. I can play music from my iTunes (stream) and I can also direct it to play to my Airport and my sound system. I can't do it quite as easily as I can with a computer but still it can be done.

Tablets are great. And they are here to stay.

i agree with you. i think i would basically use a tablet as a netbook on steroids for my daily stuff.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My main argument is that NOTHING will ever beat a tangible keyboard and a mouse... Nothing is a better interface than those two... If i had to type a long email to a friend on an iPad I would kill myself...

I understand Tabs are the future, but only for little things.

OP
T

tlozano09

Reaction score
My main argument is that NOTHING will ever beat a tangible keyboard and a mouse... Nothing is a better interface than those two... If i had to type a long email to a friend on an iPad I would kill myself...

I understand Tabs are the future, but only for little things.

haha i totally agree. typing anything longer than a paragraph on a touchscreen device is agony.

Jamis0n

Reaction score
Android Tablets need to evolve a little bit more and gain access to accessories like the ipads addition keyboard by plug in. Quicken is a great example of the tablets not ready for complete replacement. But it is better than a mouse for ease, not gaming of course. But they would eventually make accessories to make everything work out for the transition.

SC 2.9.2