Contact List Issues

zeroforum

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the seemingly basic question but I've searched quite a bit and haven't been able to find answers to my specific questions. Just want to be sure before I do anything.

I recently Exported my contact list (People > MENU > Import/Export > Phone as well as Google) and wiped the phone with a factory restore. When importing the contacts, I think I imported the Phone list more than once along with the Google list.

I now have multiple entries under Phone (and one under Google) for each of my contacts. They don't show up when I scroll through the People app (I have People > View set to Google and Only contacts with phone numbers), but when I create a new text or want to edit the contact's Links, I see the multiple entries with "Phone" in gray under the name.

From what I've read, the solution seems to be wipe the contact list, then resync from Google. My questions are:

1. How do I make sure Google has my fully updated contact list? In other words, how do I sync? Going to People > MENU > Back Up seems to only sync via Backup Assistant, and gives no indication I'm syncing with Google. Does it do it automatically? I would do Import/Export again but I want to make sure my list is updated in the Google cloud as well.
  2. Does this preserve all the contacts' Links (facebook, email addresses, etc)?
  3. How do I clear just the contact list?
  4. After clearing, how do I tell the phone to restore from Google?
Alternatively, is there a way to go through the list and just delete the extra Phone entries manually for each one? I've explored every option within each contact and so far can't find a way to do that.

droidedin

Reaction score
Same Issue with duplicate information

I've got the same issue.

Duplicate information showing up when editing a contact, as well as when creating a text in Handcent.

I dont think that simply wiping your contacts and resyncing will work.

I've wiped my phone many times, and it still comes back the same way.

It's annoying!!!!

michelle4439

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with the names showing twice. Also when I use handcent it is showing the name 2 or 3 times. I went into the contacts and edit them and unlinked the google for the phone book then it shows the names twice. I then deleted the names out of the phone book. The names are still in the google contacts but don't show up in the phone book. I am so confused. I don't know how to fix the problem. So all of my names are in my google account but not in my backup assist. If we have google contacts is the backup assist even necessary? Is there a way to have the google contacts and backup assist contacts match without linking them and them showing up twice. I guess it is really only a big deal when you are texting. That is when the names show up twice but it is annoying and I don't know but I think it is sending my text messages multiple times. I don't know if that is why or if it is an issue with handcent. Handcent was perfect on my droid 1 but have had lots of problems with it on my droid x.