Considering Installing LibertyROM (again) but want to confirm process

busterbluth

Reaction score
Hi All,

First off: I apologize as I'm sure that this is already covered in several places but I am having trouble sifting through everything on here (getting a bit of information overload).

Anyway, a couple months ago, I attempted to install Liberty and got it working for a bit but bricked my phone when I tried to revert back to stock. My DX is running the current official DX ROM (rooted & bootstrapped). I am pretty sick of several of the bugs with this firmware and would like to get back to Liberty, but don't want to risk messing everything up if Liberty doesn't work out for me.

Last time, I used clockwork recovery to make a backup, reset the phone to factory and then installed Liberty. After doing that, I tried to restore my original backup - and that is when I bricked the phone into a bootloop. I think the problem was that I did not restore the phone to factory first?

So my question is about how I get back to stock after installing liberty. Is it as simple as using clockwork recovery to restore to factory and THEN restore my backup I made of of the stock ROM with all my apps/settings. Or, do I need to flash back to the stock ROM somehow before I can do that?

Or, should I not use backups in Clockwork at all, restore to factory and just set up my apps all manually?

Also, I saw there is a donate version at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liberty-rom-dx/137375-liberty-rom-v-2-0-a.html. I would be happy to donate $5. It says this will install the ROM. Does that mean I can simply purchase this and run some automated process that covers all of this in a 1-click method or do I still have to Install Liberty the same way (bootstrap, factory reset, install ROM), etc.

If it does automate this, does it also automate restoring to the official DX ROM in the event I want to switch back? Thanks in advance. If anyone has any other good tips for me (or if there is a good reference that explains this all clearly, please direct me accordingly. I really want to make sure I don't brick my phone again.

Thanks!

Strothmann

Reaction score
well if you made a back up of stock before you installed liberty then your fine you can easily restore back. The liberty tool box does make it easier to install liberty. It will download and ask you to back or wipe just like rom manager would.
Im not sure what your problems actually is but ive never had a problem with my backups. Liberty is the best rom i have used. a month after i have my X i couldn't call any one because the dial for FC ( aka force close) so i went rom hopping. Liberty one. I hope this helps.

OP
B

busterbluth

Reaction score
well if you made a back up of stock before you installed liberty then your fine you can easily restore back.

Thanks for the input. What is the process for restoring a backup of stock once Liberty is installed? I had previously installed Liberty, played with it a bit and then made a backup of Liberty in hopes I could bounce back and forth between Liberty and Stock fairly easily.

I then when into the DX bootstrapper and restored my stock backup. That was when I got the bootloop. Should that have worked or did I miss some crucial step? For example, do you always need to wipe data first before restoring a backup? Thanks!

saywhaa

Reaction score
backups are everything, before you do anything you should be backing up. from stock to moded you should be backing up. i love liberty ROM so user friendly and works flawless for me. just remember do to a fresh start by clearing cache/data

OP
B

busterbluth

Reaction score
backups are everything, before you do anything you should be backing up. from stock to moded you should be backing up. i love liberty ROM so user friendly and works flawless for me. just remember do to a fresh start by clearing cache/data

Ok. Thanks!

kernelhappy

Reaction score
Hold on a second.

You cannot use a nandroid backup alone to go back from LGB.

You have to sbf back to .340 before restoring the nandroid backup you make. I believe restoring a nandroid froyo backup over a LGB install is boot loop or brick bait.

DX LGB 0.5

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
Yup u HAVE to SBF cuz u pretty much pushed an update when u installed LGB. So u have to flash back to froyo to use your froyo goodies like ur froyo back up.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

buzzyinmich

Reaction score
I have switched back multiple times using z4. I have installed maybe 15 - 20 different roms and I have to say that Liberty I by far the most stable and probably the most user friendly.

There are a few other roms out there that are good, but I do not recommended you using those until your familiar with swapping out roms and the ins and outs of your phone.

Make sure your using Titanium Back Up, Bootstrap and Z4 and you will be good to go. I have rooted about 2 dozen DX/DX2 without bricking so if you have any questions please do not hesitate to shoot me a pm..

-Buzzy

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App