Considering gettin a Droid Razr but I have a few questions.

devortiz06

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new 4G phone from verizon to get before they switch the data plans. The droid razr is currently on sale for $99 and looks like a good option but I have a few questions. I have had a good experience with my HTC incredible but two people I know with motorola droid x and x2 have had a few problems. The x is old and the screen is going out, it is not cracked but has dead (black) spots. The X2 has had repeated problems often freezing and randomly rebooting even after several (going on 4) replacements, this phone is not modified and has never had more than 5 apps downloaded. This has made me nervous about getting a motorola phone. Has anyone here had significant problems with their razrs?

Also I would almost certainly root the phone. Is there currently a safe and reliable way to restore this phone to stock (undetectably) or is it somewhat risky to install ROMs? From what I've read the process is much different than what I did for my HTC incredible. Also does anyone know what software version it has out of the box?

Reaction score
You have good and bad with all manufaturers. Motorola has always been solid for me. I had a Droid X for almost 2 years with no real problems. The RAZR I have now is as near to perfect as any phone I've ever had. It's well worth the $99 promo going on right now. I have a line eligible for upgrade in 5 days (June 1) and I think I'll get another RAZR. Then my primary line is eligible in 3 months, so I'll see what the latest and greatest is then.

Reaction score
As of now, the official software version out of the box is 6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I would get the Razr. The phone has been flawless for me.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I might be wrong but I don't think that you can get the Razr back to stock because of s-off. Again I might be wrong about that. If you want to root and since your a fan of HTC already I'd go with the Rezound. For rooting the Nexus isn't a bad choice either. I'm sure the others will correct me if I'm wrong about the Razr.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I think the Razr is a great phone. I love it...best android I've had (which includes vortex, og Droid, incredible, Charge and now Maxx). But the Rezound is also an excellent phone... rock solid up there with the Maxx. My son has had absolutely no problems with his, takes great pics, great reception and signal, great display, etc. His only complaint was that he could not see the display well in the sun at all but then I discovered that he had the screen brightness at only 10% and now he can see it fine in the sun. He also got the extended battery because of course the stock battery is nothing compared to the Maxx.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Caesars

Reaction score
I must say that the my maxx is not only the best Android i've had, it's the best smartphone I've personally used as well.

poncedeleon

Reaction score
rooting is exceedingly easy if you know your way around with rooting as a whole. Getting it back to stock is easy aswell. Fastboot and you're back on stock and good to go for the OTA of ICS (if we ever get it)

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I might be wrong but I don't think that you can get the Razr back to stock because of s-off. Again I might be wrong about that. If you want to root and since your a fan of HTC already I'd go with the Rezound. For rooting the Nexus isn't a bad choice either. I'm sure the others will correct me if I'm wrong about the Razr.

For any custom ROM and most leaks, there are ways to get back to stock. And s-on/s-off is pretty much just a HTC thing.

The flashing process is different for Motorola phones, but not different in a difficult sort of way. Manufacturers each use different methods, so we have to as well. If you had no problems with doing things on a HTC phone, you'll have no problem learning how to go about things on a Motorola phone.

rpdonald

Reaction score
I've had my RAZR for a couple of months now and I love it now just like the first day I got it. I think the battery is solid and its built like a brick. The only reason I have a case on it is to give it some extra bulk since it seems to sit weird in my hand. But other than I am loving it while I anxiously wait for ICS!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

OP
D

devortiz06

Reaction score
For any custom ROM and most leaks, there are ways to get back to stock. And s-on/s-off is pretty much just a HTC thing.

The flashing process is different for Motorola phones, but not different in a difficult sort of way. Manufacturers each use different methods, so we have to as well. If you had no problems with doing things on a HTC phone, you'll have no problem learning how to go about things on a Motorola phone.

Is rooting still fairly easy on the 6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US update, since according to MyEntityRemains that is what it will come with? The rooting guides I found only include versions up to .173, its possible nothing important changed but manufacturers are always making it harder to root. There seem to be a few good guides out there, I should be able to figure it out, I just wanted to make sure this is a reliable phone a good phone to root.

The droid razr definitely seems like the best deal at $99 as long as its a solid phone. I also like the HTC rezound and the extended battery of the razr maxx would be nice but money is a bit tight at the moment, I wouldn't be upgrading now if it wasn't the only way to get into 4G and keep unlimited data. It looks like I will be getting a razr in the next week or so.

Caesars

Reaction score
I hear you 100% about money being tight :-(

However I can't stress the maxx battery life enough, Android phones in general have badddd battery life. Add on 4g with no option to throw on a 3k mah seidio battery and its asking for trouble ;-(

The RAZR is awesome, but I'm pretty sure you will be STUCK to a charger Constantly :-(

Just more food for thought to clutter your decision, night y'all.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

rpdonald

Reaction score
Caesars said:
I hear you 100% about money being tight :-(

However I can't stress the maxx battery life enough, Android phones in general have badddd battery life. Add on 4g with no option to throw on a 3k mah seidio battery and its asking for trouble ;-(

The RAZR is awesome, but I'm pretty sure you will be STUCK to a charger Constantly :-(

Just more food for thought to clutter your decision, night y'all.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have smart actions set up and have no trouble making it through the day without a charge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

OP
D

devortiz06

Reaction score
How big of a difference does that extra battery make? The battery on my droid incredible is pretty bad, pretty much always has been but its slowly getting worse. If I use it much at all (especially for listening to Pandora or watching videos) I have to plug in to make it through the day, I often plug it into my laptop in my backpack while I take the train home so that I can watch netflix, while watching netflix the battery even drains while plugged in just at a slower rate. It has no trouble making it through a day with minimal use and juice defender but if I actually use it, it struggles to last.

destin246

Reaction score
You will not regret getting the droid razr it is absolutely amazing and i have the original and i can make it through a full day.