Compass problem on Droid

radioz

Reaction score
I've tried installing Compass from Snaptic a couple of times and am having problems with it.

The display is messed up. The outer ring is shifted to the right and the white disk is shifted to the upper left. The different 'parts' of the compass are all misaligned.

Anyone else have this problem?

thx
radioz

joshua117

Reaction score
yeah same here, I switched over to GPS Status. You get the compass and more great free app. :)

markmicallef

Reaction score
I've tried installing Compass from Snaptic a couple of times and am having problems with it.

The display is messed up. The outer ring is shifted to the right and the white disk is shifted to the upper left. The different 'parts' of the compass are all misaligned.

thx
radioz

You know you can spin the outer ring, right?

The inner will automatically face north.

OP
R

radioz

Reaction score

thx
radioz

You know you can spin the outer ring, right?

The inner will automatically face north.

Well yes, I'm sure I could if it was all woking.

It really looks like someone disassembled the compass and left the parts on the screen!

Maybe I can figure out how to get a screen shot. It is rather amusing.

Radioz

GadgetRick

Reaction score
I never got this app to work. If I walked around, the needle wouldn't keep pointing North. I ditched it.

zegwin

Reaction score
anyone know if it points to true or magnetic? and if it is magnetic can you correct the declination?

mikie

Reaction score
what version of compass?

thx
radioz

@radioz i'm sorry to hear that you're having problems w/ the compass app. I'm a developer at snaptic, and would love to see if we can figure out what's going on. my day-to-day phone is a droid and the app works great. if you could reply with a few details, it would help us a lot...

- compass app version
- droid firmware version
- pic of screen (understand this one may be hard to do)
- other apps running on phone, free space, memory utilization... whatever's easy for you to include

please let us know if you have any other requests/comments/problems.

regards,
mike

mikie

Reaction score
I never got this app to work. If I walked around, the needle wouldn't keep pointing North. I ditched it.

@gadgetrick that's no bueno. the megnetometer that's used in both the iphone and droid needs to be "unstuck" (for lack of a better word) at times. circling the phone mid-air in a figure-eight pattern will recalibrate the hardware compass.

the problem/solution is the same as what's describe in this apple iphone support bulletin:
iPhone 3GS: Re-calibrate Compass

We included a quick notification in our recent release that describes this process.

regards,
mike

mikie

Reaction score
anyone know if it points to true or magnetic? and if it is magnetic can you correct the declination?

@zegwin the compass is magnetic. the hardware itself is still not perfect (although "good enough"), so at times the compass needs to be "re-calibrated". basically you hold the phone infront of you and fly it around an imaginary figure 8 track (note: this may elicit odd looks from people... i personally wait until no one is around :)

apple uses the same technology, here's their quick support bulletin on the problem/solution:
iPhone 3GS: Re-calibrate Compass

let us know if you have any other comments/suggestions/problems!

regards,
mike

gdkoger

Reaction score
Having the same problem and looking at my settings. I un-installed and re-installed the app. I noticed I had not re-booted my phone in a long time. Tried that and it worked.