Solved Droid Turbo 2 compass

timyoder

Reaction score
I've been having trouble over the past couple of weeks with the compass needle on my Droid Turbo 2. If I open Google Maps and the phone is in portrait mode, the blue arrow indicating direction spins counterclockwise quickly. If I turn the phone to landscape mode, it stops spinning and points in the general direction I'm holding the phone. Has anyone else seen this? Is this something I can fix or does the phone just need to be replaced? The phone is running stock Android 6.0

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I've been having trouble over the past couple of weeks with the compass needle on my Droid Turbo 2. If I open Google Maps and the phone is in portrait mode, the blue arrow indicating direction spins counterclockwise quickly. If I turn the phone to landscape mode, it stops spinning and points in the general direction I'm holding the phone. Has anyone else seen this? Is this something I can fix or does the phone just need to be replaced? The phone is running stock Android 6.0
Interesting. Mine's doing the same. I haven't used Maps since I moved into this phone (Z Force), so hadn't noticed. Maybe a setting or need of a software update?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I doubt your phone needs to be replaced. It may just be an issue with Maps. What version of Maps do you have now? I have Maps version 9.33.1 and am not noticing the compass needle spinning, as described. Also, what are your Location Settings set to? I have mine set to High Accuracy. That may make a difference also? Maybe try updating the Maps app to the newest version available in the Play Store, reboot your phone and see how it works? If you are already on the most current version, sometimes uninstalling all updates to that app, reboot the phone, and then pre-installed the app updates helps resolve weird issues.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Calibrating my compass is exactly what was needed in my case, thank you! Now, after replacing the battery in my FJ, I need to do the same with it. 'Spose these instructions apply to the truck too

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Calibrating my compass is exactly what was needed in my case, thank you! Now, after replacing the battery in my FJ, I need to do the same with it. 'Spose these instructions apply to the truck too

If it's similar to my Jeep, you drive in a slow wide circle several times and it will recalibrate.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Cool! You just saved me looking that up. Thanks, Saj!

You might want to look it up real quick, just to make sure it's not different. But that seems to be the general rule for some vehicle compasses.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey

Thanks for the update, we marked this solved

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Thanks for the update, we marked this solved
Were you waitin' on me? Sheeesh, sorry to take so long. My world is kinda upside down right now & my phone is not a top priority at the moment. Did the OP have the same issue?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Were you waitin' on me? Sheeesh, sorry to take so long. My world is kinda upside down right now & my phone is not a top priority at the moment. Did the OP have the same issue?

I didn't scroll up to see who the OP was :( . You were more active in here than they were so I just assumed..... I'll leave it mark solved unless the OP comes back with more issues