Coming from a Pre... How reliable is the Droid?

Elysian

Reaction score
Well, I had 7 Pre's(the last one is a brand new one, which I'm selling before anything goes wrong :icon_ goofy: How does the Droid rate? I checked the Tech Issues section, but I don't think that section is going to give me a clear picture, any help? I'm doubting it's as poorly built as the Pre, but just want to be sure before I jump into it.

OP
E

Elysian

Reaction score
7 Pre's ?!!? Yikes.

Yeah, and I was through with them with #3, it just took me 4 more tries to get the Sprint store to finally get me a brand new one(but to be fair it only took me 1 conversation with the Store Manager). Only reason I'm switching from Sprint is because I'd have to spend a bunch(479) on a Samsung Moment, or spend a bit less on ETF and get the Droid(roughly 400 after ETF). I'd stick with Sprint if I didn't have to wait until next summer for another upgrade.

Randomocity

Reaction score
There are a few people that have problems with their droids. Knock on wood, I've had mine a month and I havent had any major problems with it.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's impossible to get an accurate picture of reliability solely based on a discussion forum which will represent a disproportionate number of issues for the small sample of larger community that the forum site represents anyway.

You have 30 days to return the Droid if you get it from Verizon. Not sure about the resellers -- you'd have to check with them individually for fine print, etc.

broosewee

Reaction score
Generally, the Droid is a solid device so far. Time will tell, but my (almost) opening day Droid is problem free.

n0cturne74

Reaction score
I have also had no issues. I've had many phones that I've hated after a very short time owning and I not only love the Droid, it impresses me on a daily basis as I'm learning new things it can do.

OP
E

Elysian

Reaction score
It's impossible to get an accurate picture of reliability solely based on a discussion forum which will represent a disproportionate number of issues for the small sample of larger community that the forum site represents anyway.

You have 30 days to return the Droid if you get it from Verizon. Not sure about the resellers -- you'd have to check with them individually for fine print, etc.

To a degree, yes, you are correct, but I think it's pretty easy to get a consensus from users, and not be too far off from the truth. The Pre forums are a good example, the issues with the Pre are widespread, and not limited to the forum. Every time I went into the Sprint store, there was someone else there getting their Pre replaced(anecdotal, I know, but when a Store Manager alludes to them having high Pre replacement, it means something). I just don't want to find myself in the same position I was in with the Pre, and I think asking the community is a good starting point. I also am not making the mistake I made with the Pre and buying on launch day, so there is some actual data out there on the Droid now.

cdd543

Reaction score
I had a couple of pre's and the droid hardware build is far superior.

Krish

Reaction score
Hi elysian. I just switched from the pre to Verizon + droid 2 days ago and im loving it. The pre had too many lag issues after a while and constantly waiting for little updates + almost no apps really got me annoyed. The pre updated so much i kept having to remove hacks like roam only or more launcher pages blablah i got sick of it and now im selling it. Its cool when you first get it but the phone slows down after a while. The droid iv had for 2 days and im playing with it like crazy so many apps its much more powerful. There's no pinch zoom like you'd find on pre but im sure someone will add it in the future since its capable of multi-touch.

I even ported to Verizon while still in contract with sprint. I couldn't take the service they kept saying i had good service in my area but anyone with sprint here had 1 bar to no bars and tons of dropped calls so i really just switched plus Verizon gives me a lot more corp discount.

If you don't want to cancel your contract because of ETF you could always sell the pre and get a Hero. Its pretty nice with the Sense UI much smoother and better to use than the Palm pre.

Last edited:
OP
E

Elysian

Reaction score
Hi elysian. I just switched from the pre to Verizon + droid 2 days ago and im loving it. The pre had too many lag issues after a while and constantly waiting for little updates + almost no apps really got me annoyed. The pre updated so much i kept having to remove hacks like roam only or more launcher pages blablah i got sick of it and now im selling it. Its cool when you first get it but the phone slows down after a while. The droid iv had for 2 days and im playing with it like crazy so many apps its much more powerful. There's no pinch zoom like you'd find on pre but im sure someone will add it in the future since its capable of multi-touch.

I even ported to Verizon while still in contract with sprint. I couldn't take the service they kept saying i had good service in my area but anyone with sprint here had 1 bar to no bars and tons of dropped calls so i really just switched plus Verizon gives me a lot more corp discount.

If you don't want to cancel your contract because of ETF you could always sell the pre and get a Hero. Its pretty nice with the Sense UI much smoother and better to use than the Palm pre.

Hero doesn't interest me, the Moment does, but like I said earlier, I'm actually saving money going to Verizon. I'm going to try my best to get out of the ETF with Sprint though, I think having 7 Pre's is reason enough. We'll see.

I had a couple of pre's and the droid hardware build is far superior.

Great to hear, I haven't been able to try one out yet, might try to tonight.

Krish

Reaction score
Hero doesn't interest me, the Moment does, but like I said earlier, I'm actually saving money going to Verizon. I'm going to try my best to get out of the ETF with Sprint though, I think having 7 Pre's is reason enough. We'll see.
Yea getting out of sprint ETF is pretty annoying, Even if theres no sprint service but theres roaming they wont cancel it. They hassled me so much and i gave up. I think if you keep trying it might make them budge but i'v even told them to look at my account iv used like only 20 - 40 minutes a month for passed 3 months saying its the service dropping calls and me having to use my moms Verizon phone. They say Dropped calls is not enough to drop you from the contract without ETF nor is saying service is bad if the map says you get service. Iv also told them iv been through bunch of phones and nothing helped they said there's nothing they can do but have sprint store check the phone.

Last edited:

Baconstrip

Reaction score
I had to replace my first droid. It was constantly rebooting on me. Exchanged it and haven't had a single problem since.

sir2545

Reaction score
I, and most other people in this forum, can assure you that you won't be disappointed with this phone. And on top of a great phone, your going to get a really big surprise with verizons coverage. I say go for it and even though you may have to pay the ETF at sprint and pay for the phone at verizon, you should be able to recover that money plus some from selling the Pre outright without a contract. Good luck and hopefully well be seeing more of you soon.

OP
E

Elysian

Reaction score
I, and most other people in this forum, can assure you that you won't be disappointed with this phone. And on top of a great phone, your going to get a really big surprise with verizons coverage. I say go for it and even though you may have to pay the ETF at sprint and pay for the phone at verizon, you should be able to recover that money plus some from selling the Pre outright without a contract. Good luck and hopefully well be seeing more of you soon.

I don't think I'll be all that surprised since Sprint and Verizon roam on each others network, which means I've never had an issue with signal :icon_ devil: