CM7 install hangs at red Motorola logo

ripsting

I've just failed my 5th CM7 flash attempt. I've been using Liberty 0.8 up until now, and have plenty of experience flashing ROMs.

I have a Droid 2, and am trying to flash CM7 103 (but I've also tried nightly 100 with the same result).

Steps:
  1. Power + UpArrow, use RSD Lite v5.3.1 to flash the original stock firmware
  2. Power + X, flash gingerbread OTA update, clear data + cache
  3. Root with the Droid 3 one-click script
  4. Install Droid 2 Bootstrapper
  5. Bootstrap Recovery (5.x.x.x) & reboot
  6. Clear data, cache, and Davlik (I've tried various combinations, leaving one or more out too)
  7. Install CM7, G-Apps (I've tried leaving out G-Apps too)
  8. Reboot... Hangs on red Motorola logo
  9. Go back to step 1
I've also tried installing ClockworkMod through Rom Manager, but it fails - it simply reboots my phone without going into recovery. What step am I missing?

Edit:
The new nightlies are based off of Froyo, not Gingerbread, so my system files didn't match.

Last edited:

juv3

If it's the latest Cyanogenmod 7.1 you have to flash it from froyo not Gingerbread, the latest froyo update since it's a froyo based kernel.. Do not do it from gingerbread.

OP
R

ripsting

Using the Cyanogenmod firmware CM4D2-GB-20111006 instead of cm_droid2_full-103 worked. Whew! I got a boot-loop at the CM7 stakeboard splash screen, but was able to fix it by clearing data & cache (I had only cleared cache and Davlik originally).

So why would they be going back to Froyo after having a Gingerbread version?

juv3

Using the Cyanogenmod firmware CM4D2-GB-20111006 instead of cm_droid2_full-103 worked. Whew! I got a boot-loop at the CM7 stakeboard splash screen, but was able to fix it by clearing data & cache (I had only cleared cache and Davlik originally).

So why would they be going back to Froyo after having a Gingerbread version?
So that it could be the biggest let down of all year.