CM7 Error, wont boot past moto logo, Help?

xm0067

Reaction score
Let me being with saying i am the newest noob you can think of, i rooted my phone only a week ago (i do have nandroid backups though) and last night installed CM7 through ROM manager and it worked fine (i did clear the cache and data), phone booted up for the first time in all its glory, but, be that as it may, at 4am i decided to call it quits, and turned off my phone.
This morning i wake up and try to turn it on and its stuck in the Motorola logo, so i take out the battery and try to boot into recovery. No such luck. All i get is a the android symbol next to an exclamation point. I really am sorta freaking out because i really dont have the cash to get a new phone. How can i fix this?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try going into recovery and wiping data. With the power off, hold the power, and home button. Release when you see the Android and question mark. Press the 2 volume buttons at the same time (for GB) or the search button (for Froyo). Select factory data reset with the camera button and also wipe your cache. Then try and reboot

sent from my ApeX

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
The android symbol next to exclamation means you're in the stock recovery - press the search button (magnifying glass) on the physical keyboard to get to the recovery menu.

It's been a while since I've been in stock recovery, but from there, if there is such an option, you could try wiping cache only and then rebooting.

If there isn't a cache only wipe and you can't boot into CM any other way, you'll have to wipe data/factory reset...that should clear up your issue and allow you to boot up into CM4D2 again and reinstall apps, etc.

Before you do that you could try restarting your phone a few times to see if it sorts itself out.

Reaction score
I tried installing the CM7 just now after wiping the Apex 2.0 RC2 release. I am stuck in an infinite loop and cannot get in even after wiping data and cache from recovery mode many, many times. I was hoping I could get into Clockwork, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
X

xm0067

Reaction score
I ended up using a sbf recovery and rerooting, im gonna wait to reinstall cm7

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I tried installing the CM7 just now after wiping the Apex 2.0 RC2 release. I am stuck in an infinite loop and cannot get in even after wiping data and cache from recovery mode many, many times. I was hoping I could get into Clockwork, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So you installed cm7 directly from apex gb? That will cause problems because cm7 needs to be flashed from froyo. You will need to sbf back to froyo in order to get out of the bootloop and flash again.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

steelersfan

Reaction score
From what I understood I thought you had to sbf back to froyo to flash cm7 since it uses the froyo kernel. If you just sbf'd then you should be able to flash cm7.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

m1ghtysauc3

Reaction score
Yeah it seems everyone is trying to flash from gingerbread. I made the same mistake once upon a time.

P.S. steelersfan you have the greatest name ever

Sent from my Droid 2 running Cyanogenmod7!

Last edited:

steelersfan

Reaction score
Yeah it seems everyone is trying to flash from gingerbread. I made the same mistake once upon a time.

P.S. steelersfan you have the greatest name every

Black and yellow black and yellow! Haha
Anyway im just waiting for my battery to come in from amazon before I sbf again (barely made it last time). Then I get to froyo and try out cm7!

Last edited:

m1ghtysauc3

Reaction score

P.S. steelersfan you have the greatest name every

Black and yellow black and yellow! Haha
Anyway im just waiting for my battery to come in from amazon before I sbf again (barley made it last time). Then I get to froyo and try out cm7!

You won't regret it. Since I paid for Liberty Toolbox Pro, I've wanted to stick with Liberty so bad. But I just can't get away from cm7. It's the smoothest rom I've ever had by far. And there are options in this rom you'll never find in a rom using a locked bootloader.

Reaction score
I can't even get my phone to sbf. It won't load to a point where my computer can recognize it. If I take to Verizon, are they going to do anything other than laugh at me? As far as I know, custom roms violate their warranty. I paid for insurance at least, and there is a hardware issue on it so I could wait for it to totally die.

OP
X

xm0067

Reaction score
Further question, what do you think went wrong when I flashed CM7? I got the download directly from ROM manager and I was using a stock (of course rooted) rom and kernel, and it even booted successfully once. I did remove some bloatware using titanium backup... but I doubt that was it...

OP
X

xm0067

Reaction score
I can't even get my phone to sbf. It won't load to a point where my computer can recognize it. If I take to Verizon, are they going to do anything other than laugh at me? As far as I know, custom roms violate their warranty. I paid for insurance at least, and there is a hardware issue on it so I could wait for it to totally die.

Are you running the program as an admin? That's a problem if it wont recognize sometimes.

Reaction score
It's not just RSD, it's the computer altogether. If I have it at the stock droid recovery menu, it won't recognize it. I'm stuck somewhere between a hybrid of Froyo and GB apparently. I am also a fifteen hour drive from home so I really wish it would work before I have to do that.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you're in recovery it isn't going to recognize it. You have to be in the bootloader.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk