Clean Install

Joe_Schmoe

Reaction score
Just as the title says, is it possible to do one on my Droid 4?

As a side note, I'm flashing the nightly builds of CM9

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you do a back up of your phone before installing the ROM? Running the back up or doing a data wipe should give you a clean install. I'm not sure about wiping data on a 4 but that's the method most commonly used on Android phones.

OP
J

Joe_Schmoe

Reaction score
I think I'm not explaining myself exactly right. I want to format the phone entirely and install the new rom. As it stands right now, I still have directories for apps that were installed on the stock Motorola rom.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I'm not explaining myself exactly right. I want to format the phone entirely and install the new rom. As it stands right now, I still have directories for apps that were installed on the stock Motorola rom.

No, you're explaining yourself clearly it's just that I'm not sure how you go about doing it on a D4. What you would do if you can is boot your phone into recovery. Then you would select wipe data and cache. i THINK that doing a restore however would be even better because that would remove your ROM.

Keep in mind here I'm sharing knowledge on how it works on most Android phones, I don't know the specifics on a D4. Only reason I popped in and tried to help was nobody had responded to you.

OP
J

Joe_Schmoe

Reaction score
I appreciate the help. I think my response came off a little angry sounding, I apologize. Haven't had my coffee. I guess the next question would be how does android work? is there a registry somewhere? if not is it just possible to delete folder not pertaining to my current rom?

kwyrt

Reaction score
I assume you are using safestrap? Normally you would want to install your ROMs on the "safe" system which leaves your stock "unsafe" system intact. If you really want to get wipe everything I think you would have to boot into safestrap recovery, install your ROM on the "unsfafe" system, then wipe data. I highly discourage doing that though as there are no fastboot files yet which means no way to restore your phone to stock should something get scewed up.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I assume you are using safestrap? Normally you would want to install your ROMs on the "safe" system which leaves your stock "unsafe" system intact. If you really want to get wipe everything I think you would have to boot into safestrap recovery, install your ROM on the "unsfafe" system, then wipe data. I highly discourage doing that though as there are no fastboot files yet which means no way to restore your phone to stock should something get scewed up.

Yikes!!! Thanks for jumping in. You're right usually once they find a way to root and add ROMs It takes a little time for someone to find a safe way to get back.

TrenTech

Reaction score

Is this even possible? I saw somewhere that safestrap will not allow you to flash the unsafe system. Maybe I need some clarification here. The process is different from how I did things with my old droid 2 so I want to make sure I'm on the right track. If there is a way to recover the unsafe system back to complete default can you direct me in how to do that? I'd feel more confortable knowing my unsafe system is clean and intacted properly as at the moment I'm missing some system files for some reason. I mean it boots and runs properly but some of the blur apps are missing things for example my contacts crash because the com.motorola.bur.contacts file disappeared. A little help would be much appreciated.

shadowking

Reaction score
So what you guys are saying if you did something to your unsafe system ur screwed? Unless something is developed that allows you to mod the safestrap/bootstrap on the unsafe system. If its out there please post a link or anything here

GigaJake

Reaction score
Safestrap is designed to prohibit you from altering your non-safe system as much as possible. This allows for your phone to be usable even if you completely mess up your safe-system. If you want to flash a rom on your non-safe system (which is very risky at this point without a SBF to rely on) you won't be able to via safestrap. Rather, go back to your non-safe, remove safestrap completely, install clockworkmod recovery (similar to safestrap without dual-system functionality) and use that. It can be flashed through ROM Manager via the Play Market.

Sent from my DROID4 using Carrier Pigeons

shadowking

Reaction score
I love you. Thanksssssssssssssssssss

GigaJake

Reaction score
No problem. Just be careful you don't flash a rom designed specifically for safestrap. These two recoveries are not compatible with eachother (don't restore backups from different recoveries)

shadowking

Reaction score
I have been looking for a clean zip thats compatible with clockworkmod. No luck so far

GigaJake

Reaction score
I'm looking for one as well and I'll let you know. Worst comes to worst I can get you a nandroid backup from my stock motoblur for you to restore from.