Cheap easy way to car dock your Droiid

RandyL712

Reaction score
so you have to permanently attach something to your droid?
Not if you do what I'm planning - I tested the Body Glove case today , and the knob is perfectly placed to work with the Cellet ! I've just ordered a BG case.

VingInMedina

Reaction score
I ordered a couple of these and I have to say that I am really pleased. It works great and I don't have to deal with the hassle of putting my Droid into a mount. I just stick it onto the magnet on the dash and I'm done. It holds it really well.

I use the multimedia dock, so I attached the metal strip to the back of the phone slightly off center so that it doesn't interfere with sitting in the dock.

Life is good. Thanks so much for this great, simple and cheap idea.

Carl Light

Reaction score
Now I'm curious.......how did you get the magnet out of the housing to reverse it?

The back of the casing (with the sticky tape) pops off with a mini-flat head screwdriver. Or, you can do what I did first and try to go at it from the rubber front side. Which is messy and the wrong way to do it :)

Great tip. I ordered a 2nd one, switched the magnet around and I'm loving the automatic car mode. I have the black case from the verizon store (textured finish) and the 3M tape is holding fine after a week. Nice product.

BD1

Reaction score
New to the Droid, What is the round plug wire u are sticking in the top of the phone used for?

th9203

Reaction score
How does it know?

There is a magnet in the Droid with a matching (or opposite) magnet in the Car and Desk Docks. I believe that it is the polarity of the magnets that determines which mount it is in. There is also a "helper" app, Car Dock Mode, that can be used to force the Droid into acting like it is in the Car Dock. :icon_eek:

cuskit

Reaction score
There is a magnet in the Droid with a matching (or opposite) magnet in the Car and Desk Docks. I believe that it is the polarity of the magnets that determines which mount it is in. There is also a "helper" app, Car Dock Mode, that can be used to force the Droid into acting like it is in the Car Dock. :icon_eek:
Yes - you are absolutely correct - polarity determines car mode or multimedia mode.

Your Droid comes with the app you speak of - it's titled "Car Home" and you'll find it in your app drawer. You can also find "Dockrunner" on the Market - this app will enable the multimedia mode. The magnet on docks and car mounts just make it happen automatically. :) mike

OpalCat

Reaction score
I took a magnet and stuck it to the back of my Droid... there are two places on the back that it sticks to. I flipped the magnet over but was not able to get the Droid to do anything different based on polarity...

cuskit

Reaction score
I took a magnet and stuck it to the back of my Droid... there are two places on the back that it sticks to. I flipped the magnet over but was not able to get the Droid to do anything different based on polarity...
OpalCat,

Look at the photo on my signature (Droid on a MIKRADLE).

Place you magnet on the back of your Droid just about the bottom of the 5 on the time. This is centered just above the connection port for your MicroUsb cable, about an inch and a quarter up from the bottom of your phone. That's the sweet spot that enables your two modes. Try it and get back to us.. :) mike

mjl4878

Reaction score
Ok, so im just about to pull the trigger on this, but I have one concern before I do. Im using the cover from vzw and actually really like it a lot. Mainly because of the belt clip where it just slides in/out. Ordered an ezstand for home and really want something like this for the car but worried about how its going to work out with my case. I could switch to another case like the body glove. Anyone have screenshots or feedback on how this mounts with that case?

BigE"s DROID

Reaction score
I took cellett mag mount and my old dock from years ago i used with my palm treo and put them together. i hadrwired charger and ran with fm mod. for a clean look. pretty happy with the way it turned out. For less than 5 bucks real happy!

Attachments

• 102_0540.jpg
    102_0540.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 332
  • 102_0541.jpg
    102_0541.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 352
  • 102_0542.jpg
    102_0542.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 102_0543.jpg
    102_0543.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 242
  • 102_0538.jpg
    102_0538.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 293
Reaction score
Hrm...This thread has inspired me to scour ebay for some super strong magnets. My goal is to hide the magnet on the backside of the dash so you cannot see it, it will look like it just sticks to the dash.

BigE"s DROID

Reaction score
Hrm...This thread has inspired me to scour ebay for some super strong magnets. My goal is to hide the magnet on the backside of the dash so you cannot see it, it will look like it just sticks to the dash.

I went to lowes and bought some strong madnets and it messed with the phone. didnt no wether to go to dock or car mode.....

Reaction score
btw the droid battery door is made of metal has any one tried this without the extra metal piece in the kit?

Reaction score

I went to lowes and bought some strong madnets and it messed with the phone. didnt no wether to go to dock or car mode.....

Doh...do you happen to kno the size and grade of the magnet you tried?