charging cycle?

Huxatron

Reaction score
Hi, i just picked up a g2 yesterday i have been looking around the net any ideas on a charging cycle. Do i drain the battery completely then charge the phone completely before using it? I read somewhere that with lithium batteries that tends to ruin them i would just like some ideas on how to make the battery last as long as possible
Thanks

sertio

Reaction score
Charge whenever you feel like it and for as much as you like. No need to fully charge it, and no need to drain it completely before charging. Actually the latter will do more harm than good

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
No, just charge it fully the first time you use it. No need to drain it fully.

David

Charge whenever you feel like it and for as much as you like. No need to fully charge it, and no need to drain it completely before charging. Actually the latter will do more harm than good

Actually Yellow Jacket is more correct here. You do need to fully charge the battery at least once in order to properly configure the charging and metering system and keep the battery and metering system in sync. This initial full charge (one which most never actually perform), should be performed upon first receiving the device and before powering up the device and using it. This is clearly documented in the written instructions. In other words, charge to 100% with the device powered off to ensure an unimpeded full charge. If not, you run the risk of deep-discharging the battery accidentally and rendering it useless, or at best temporarily putting it into a state where it will refuse to charge using the normal method.

It's also recommended that you do this same powered off, full charge as part of a maintenance process every two to three months where you charge to 100%, power up and use to the point where the phone tells you to connect to the charger, then power the phone off and charge fully again before reverting to your normal routine.

Sertio is correct that you do not want to ever fully drain the battery and actually should avoid reaching 0% at virtually all costs. If you're approaching 0% and not near a power source, I recommend powering the device completely off to protect the battery. He is also correct that you can charge whenever you are near a power source. Lithium Ion batteries actually perform better over time if charged more frequently and in shorter boost charges, rather than full charges followed by full discharges which shorten the battery's life.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Powered off cable charging to 100% is awesome the first time..I've found that a qi charger does a good job after that. My wife's lg g2 aka(the optimus g2 as I've been told) is a solid device..I almost like it. :)