Change Emoji Colors With New Android N Google Keyboard!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
CixbSCDUkAALbne.jpg

Today the 3rd Developer preview of Android N was released to the masses at Google I/O. We have tons of changes to Android in this new build. One of the coolest changes has to be the ability to change the color of your emoji. People are diverse shouldn't emoji be diverse as well?!

Colors include traditional yellow, pasty white, slightly darker white, tan, dark tan, brown, and black! Each Emoji has the option to change color which is pretty neat! This could be reason enough to switch back to the Nexus 6P and grab the new Android N build!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
But will the receiver see them?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Turns out no they won't.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
True. Mustang and I tried this in Hangouts. I'm on M and he's running N on his 5x. We both have the new 5.1 keybaord, but I couldn't see the emojis that he sent that had different color skin.

I'm assuming this is because the support for Unicode 9 (or whatever version it is) is actually baked in to N and not the keyboard itself.

Valvoline

Reaction score
I send them through the verizon messages+ app and all my recipients get the new emojis as long as they have the new keyboard. My sons have budget phones, and get them

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I send them through the verizon messages+ app and all my recipients get the new emojis as long as they have the new keyboard. My sons have budget phones, and get them
Odd. Maybe hangouts doesn't support sending them? You'd think they would show up in hangouts if it didn't support them though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Valvoline

Reaction score
Odd. Maybe hangouts doesn't support sending them? You'd think they would show up in hangouts if it didn't support them though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've only been able to use then in that one app. Facebook messenger doesn't accept them.