Google Releases Android N Developer Preview 1

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Daaaaannnnnnnngggg Google! Back at it again with another build of Android. Earlier today Google released the first developer preview build of Android N. There is no mention of what the N stands for of course. Surprisingly we don't even get a number scheme! There are lots of new features here including some User interface changes, some changes to settings, and the notification pull down, optimizations and more.

To install the preview you will need one of the following devices:

Nexus 6
Nexus 9
Nexus 5X
Nexus 6P
Nexus Player
Pixel C

Next you will enroll your device into the Beta program by heading to Google.com/android/beta Once you are in the beta program you will receive an update every 4-6 weeks. You can also easily unenroll your device at the same link. Just know that when you unenroll your device it will receive an OTA update that sets your device back to stock and wipes data. Have fun testing out the new build!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's the developer preview video for Android N:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Downloaded and installed.
Issues found so far:
Apps that required root won't load
Google Now - "Ok Google" voice recognition is broken.
Dark mode System UI tuner toggle works after hitting it a few times.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Downloaded and installed here. I posted in another thread that I'm having issues with my home wifi, but not my work's public network, so I'm not blaming the software at this point. Will update this post if/when I discover the real issue.

UPDATE: Turning SSID Broadcast on on my router has appeared to fix my connection issue at home. I've also disconnected & reconnected successfully a couple of times now.

Last edited:

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Does android still not support DHCPv6? Hoping they will finally bring it into N, it's freaking ridiculous that Android refuses to adopt the most widely used IP delivery protocol out there. Nobody uses RDNSS other than Android and my phones haaate Comcast routers since they moved to IPv6.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Found another bug. App redraw issue.

af46c3453ae228eaaba8cc805383dad5.jpg

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
?

Sent from my Nexus 6P
? ?

Open your app drawer, click home, click app drawer, it doesn't always redraw the whole screen. You can see my desktop in my screenshot.

Actually I just reproduced it. Swipe right to see Google now cards, hit home, hit app drawer.

e01921af469cc99f7f4ebc5642a140d8.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
? ?

Open your app drawer, click home, click app drawer, it doesn't always redraw the whole screen. You can see my desktop in my screenshot.

Actually I just reproduced it. Swipe right to see Google now cards, hit home, hit app drawer.

e01921af469cc99f7f4ebc5642a140d8.jpg
Oh. Yeah. The GN one is really bad.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
what is the complete name of Android N? N for??
No one knows yet. This is just the developer preview. The actual name won't be announced until this version is officially unveiled. They may still only call it N at Google I/O coming up in May. We've seen that before, where they wanted to show off some of what they were working on, but weren't ready to reveal the full name yet.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I don't know if anyone else is experienced this, but when my 6P is in Dark Mode from System UI tuner, it will run super slow. Verified it is only dark mode because I turned it off and my 6p runs like a beast! Auto or Manual triggers don't matter. Definitely weird...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't know if anyone else is experienced this, but when my 6P is in Dark Mode from System UI tuner, it will run super slow. Verified it is only dark mode because I turned it off and my 6p runs like a beast! Auto or Manual triggers don't matter. Definitely weird...
I'll have to play later and see. I put mine in night mode around bed time last night, but then I didn't use it much. Haha!