Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I resisted swipe typing for a long time, but finally got used to it and really enjoy it. I definitely get better results when tapping, but I find Google to give me better ones when swiping, which I do most of the time. I do kind of a hybrid of tapping and swiping these days.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I used SK for years and only moved over to this GK when my Maxx got the update a couple of months ago. It became the default after the update, so I gave it a try. Much smoother and more reliable, so I never went back to SK. I struggled a little with the GK during my recent move into the T2, but I figured it was only temporary, which it was. It's sometimes the little things that make us happy and I am really happy to have it back today! Silly, I know, but....

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I have to turn off swipe on the KBs as I type close to the screen and typically swipe something I don't intend to type...

Trying the Google new and improved KB now, and it's a tough one to work as I type the correct spelling and the correct isn't suggested... If I type incorrectly, it gives the correct suggestion, so I need to use the space bar more with the GKB...

k1601

Reaction score
That is now possible with the Google Keyboard.
As the screen shot shows, secondary characters are a choice now. I also appreciate the voice key being in the upper right so it doesn't cause the space bar to need to be smaller to allow room for the speak to type function to be enabled.
2e3985f8ec0134cfb7e49a6ea774fa16.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
OK, trying it again and switched that setting and like it better. Seems to be pretty accurate for the most part. Digging the custom theme as well.
a71ec96153fc1ea8c8830929f60ddf0e.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Didn't Google acquire SwiftKey a while back ?
The slide ability on Samsung stock keyboards is "powered by Swift Key Flow" as of when I got my Note4 . Not sure if anyone bought the company or just the rights to it. The stock keyboard on my Gear S is SK as well and I use its Flow also.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I lasted 1 hr, lots of emails and dialog here and on other forums, but it was a pain as it seems to work better for incorrect typing than for correct... Yea maybe I'm too fast in dismissing it, but SK hasn't let me down.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I lasted 1 hr, lots of emails and dialog here and on other forums, but it was a pain as it seems to work better for incorrect typing than for correct... Yea maybe I'm too fast in dismissing it, but SK hasn't let me down.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
I quit using Swift Key and went back to the stock Samsung board but so far the Google board has been just as good. Plus I like the look and feel of it better. So far about the same error rate as Samsung and FAR less than Swift Key.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
IMO SK doesn't have a measurable error rate, then again my usage / settings and typing skills may be different than some.

k1601

Reaction score
One issue with Google kB. I like my delay at less then 100 Ms. With sk I had it set at like 70. Google kB apparently can't go any lower and it causes me to have to stop and get a exclamation point... Horrible right!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One issue with Google kB. I like my delay at less then 100 Ms. With sk I had it set at like 70. Google kB apparently can't go any lower and it causes me to have to stop and get a exclamation point... Horrible right!

I hadn't even noticed that. I do believe it used to have a shorter time availability because I too had it set to 60ms and when I looked under preferences it has 100 as shortest available time now. Swype paid has 200ms as its shortest and Swype for Oppo has 250ms as its shortest. That'd be why my long presses seem to take forever (relative to an eye blink) now on Google like they do Swype.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
My Google keyboard is working great in some areas, but it doesn't appear to be the same version or keyboard in others. On here, it's fine, but texting or using Messenger, I don't have the same features. I'm sure I'm overlooking something extremely simple, but it's been frustrating me that I can't figure it out. What am I not seeing/doing?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My Google keyboard is working great in some areas, but it doesn't appear to be the same version or keyboard in others. On here, it's fine, but texting or using Messenger, I don't have the same features. I'm sure I'm overlooking something extremely simple, but it's been frustrating me that I can't figure it out. What am I not seeing/doing?
Make a note of what seems to be missing or different where & we can all do some tests & verify.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Make a note of what seems to be missing or different where & we can all do some tests & verify.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks, Jonny. I did a reset and it fixed itself, but I know it'll do it again. At least that's been the norm since I got the update. I'll take notes as soon as it starts again and try to be very detailed. It's almost as if some of the apps that I am able to type in resort back to the earlier version of the GK. Don't put any thought into it right now, because I won't be able to give any solid info, but I should be back in a couple of days with details.