Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I agree. I swipe what I would consider to be fast as well & am doing so now to write this post with no issue. Maybe that leaked version isn't quite ready for ALL devices since it was ripped from the N preview that's built for Nexus devices?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dunno but I uninstalled the preview version, put the Play version in, it didn't show up like it was even installed so I installed the preview version a gain and dad burn if it didn't set itself back up as if it hadn't been uninstalled (thank you Google?) but it's fast again and is capping the I when I use my finger and seems just as fast when using the s pen. It dropped a couple of random letters while I was writing this but everything else seems fine and that might be me tapping something by accident as I fly through the words. It seems to be something with the space bar as I'm trying to use it to act as an arrow like key. VB one thing I did do differently was turned sync my words back on.
VB? Where the heck did that come from? I double tapped the space bar to insert a period and missed the random accident on the proof read. It also inserts the word "there" when I "the" but that could just be my style that it hasn't learned yet.
I really appreciate that words such as y'all, it'd, haven't, etc are already in the dictionary. I had to add all those to Swype when it was new. Now if it'll (another one already in the dictionary) remember my words with numbers attached again, such as Note4 , I'll be just tickled. With Swype you just swipe the word then swipe to the number and it inserts the saved word/number combo. It doesn't work like that with GKB or suggest it as an alternate. I'd like to see more than 3 alternate choices in a future update also. Swype shows up to 7

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Last edited:

k1601

Reaction score
I used it for a while... Went back to SwiftKey. I missed having a symbol on each key to long press. I didn't like having them all stacked in the period key.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used it for a while... Went back to SwiftKey. I missed having a symbol on each key to long press. I didn't like having them all stacked in the period key.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
That is now possible with the Google Keyboard.
As the screen shot shows, secondary characters are a choice now. I also appreciate the voice key being in the upper right so it doesn't cause the space bar to need to be smaller to allow room for the speak to type function to be enabled.
2e3985f8ec0134cfb7e49a6ea774fa16.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just got an update from the play store to the Google keyboard. I'm using the black theme & my space-bar is now gray...

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Just got an update from the play store to the Google keyboard. I'm using the black theme & my space-bar is now gray...

Updated mine a couple of minutes ago. Happy! I had the upgrade on my Maxx, then stepped back down on the T2. I really like the cursor slide feature on the space bar.
Enjoy!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah, the cursor slide has been great. My Facebook app has been acting up lately. Trying to scroll my comments as I make them just closes the post. But the space-bar slide works.

Swipe from the delete key for whole words is nice too.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Idk if I like the new look of the black theme, but it's growing on me. I feel like the keys are a bit bigger.

Update:maybe I didn't have key borders enabled before. Can't remember now...

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Idk if I like the new look of the black theme, but it's growing on me. I feel like the keys are a bit bigger.

I wasn't sure if it when I got the upgrade on my Maxx, but grew to really like it. Truly missed it on my T2. So glad I've got it back. I really think you'll grow to like it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I have to agree the keys are larger now. I had made it a little larger before to mimic the size of Swype but after the update they are noticeably larger than Swype now.
I don't mind the not so black space bar but I'd like the suggested word area to be black black instead of charcoal.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Didn't Google acquire SwiftKey a while back ?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I was a long-time fan of SK for years. I remember when they first added the flow feature. But it started getting confused way too frequently for my taste, so I moved to Google's option a month or 2 before getting my 6P and haven't really looked back since. It's still not perfect on its predictions and corrections, but it seems more accurate to what I mean to say more often.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I was a long-time fan of SK for years. I remember when they first added the flow feature. But it started getting confused way too frequently for my taste, so I moved to Google's option a month or 2 before getting my 6P and haven't really looked back since. It's still not perfect on its predictions and corrections, but it seems more accurate to what I mean to say more often.
The predictions are the best from all I've tried that are workable, and I don't swipe because I type better, typically.
I don't have the patience any longer to try and learn another type of typing ;)