Chance to get this, or wait for Nexus 6?

T6D16C84

Reaction score
I am not a huge tinkerer. When I had my galaxy nexus I did play a bit with some things, but got more frustrated than anything trying to "customize." I do like the idea of the pure android experience. But from what I've seen the Turbo is pretty close to pure Android with what Moto has done.

Basically, I am wondering if I should make the move to snag up a Droid Turbo, or wait for the Nexus 6 (on verizon of course)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If you're going to get the nexus 6..get one from t-mobile and shove a verizon sim card in it.. The turbo has a bigger battery.. And is an excellent device.. But its locked down tighter than a drum.. If you want to tinker.. The nexus will be your cup of tea.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Not that I disagree with my buddy up there ^, but since both he AND I have Turbos we'd both tell you it's a beast and about the most solid, close to pure vanilla Android experience, with some VERY nice manufacturer's add-ons, that you'll find. Battery life is incredible, camera is more than adequate (Nexus is lower resolution but has image stabilization), processor is lightning fast, 3GB RAM is awesome, screen is sharp as a tac, radios are at least as good as any others out there (but so would the Nexus 6), and overall it's a top performer.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I didn't say the nexus was better.. Just that it wasn't locked down.. ;)

OP
T

T6D16C84

Reaction score
I'll probably go Turbo (wreck it ralph anyone?) I liked messing with my nexus, but after a while it just kind of becomes a headache. I don't mind locked down, if it's basically pure android.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
IMO it really doesn't matter that today's flagship devices are locked down. Sure we all enjoyed rooting, flashing new roms and tinkering with our devices back in the day, but if you think about it what were our main reasons for doing so?
To add more functionality, update to the latest OS version, overclock/undervolt the cpu and get rid of bloat. (I'm sure there were a few more reasons but you get my point) Today's devices are already quicker than all get out, so there's no need to overclock. The majority of flagship models easily last all day so there's no need to undervolt. We've already got what many think is THE best OS Android has put out in years with KitKat. (Lollipop is here already, or will be soon for most devices....but really its basically fluff and window dressing if you ask me. but it's there if you want it)
Today's smartphones are already packed with more functionality than most even bother to use on a daily basis. (and what you don't have can easily be downloaded with a 3rd party app) And removing bloat is easier than ever by simply disabling said apps and hiding them from view. Something that wasn't so easy back in the day.
While my S5 IS rooted, it was basically done because that's what I've always done. At the end of the day all I really use it for is to remove ads and backup apps in Titanium. The locked bootloader hasn't bothered me one bit and I certainly haven't missed flashing roms.
I imagine you'll feel the same way once you get your new Turbo. It's a great device and everyone here that has one has been really pleased with the device "as is".

S5 tap'n

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
For what it's worth, I'm not really a big tinkerer at all anymore and I love my Nexus 6 and it would be my choice. I got mine directly from Motorola. While the Turbo's camera technically has "higher resolution", the main benefit of a bump up in mega pixel's is if you plan on blowing the pictures up to really large sizes. If I had to choose between having OIS (optical image stabilization) or having more mp's, I would definitely choose OIS. I have a much easier time capturing a great shot on my Nexus 6 than I do on the Turbo I bought my pops for christmas.

I honestly think it comes down to size preference. People who can handle the Nexus 6 size really like it, while others don't. The best thing to do is to try each and determine for yourself to see which you like. However, if you'll be purchasing the phone subsidized and will be signing a 2 year contract, I would say the Turbo is the better option. I wouldn't touch the Verizon "Nexus" 6 with a ten foot pole - whenever they actually release it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cr6

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'll give you one good reason to go with the Nexus 6 over the Turbo:

Motorola, no longer being owned by Google, has no impetus to release more than a couple OS updates, whereas the Nexus (even if you leave it bone stock for the majority of its life), can be rooted and updated to a custom ROM when the updates stop flowing. Call it longevity insurance.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Both are great devices and everyone here has made great points. If the camera is super important to you, I agree that OIS makes up for lower megapixels.

The other thing to consider is definitely size of the device. As someone already stated, go pick up the display at a store and play with it.

I'm a Note 4 user and, while it seemed huge (but easily manageable) when I first got it, I was looking at it last night and realized it doesn't look that gigantic to me anymore (same thing happened when I upgraded from a 30-some" TV to a 60"). Your results may vary though. I've got pretty big hands and my fingers are longer than just about everyone I know by at least a knuckle, so I'm pretty much made for a the larger screened devices.

If we were talking one of the old Droid phones vs a nexus, I'd recommend the nexus, but as others have also said in this thread, Moto has SERIOUSLY tamed down their skinning of android, so you're getting a fairly vanilla version as well.

So, to be almost as redundant as possible, check out each device in the store and that might help seal the deal for you. When I ordered the Note 4, I went to my vzw store and played with a Note 3, knowing it was going to be around that size vs my s4.

Also, keep in mind, if you get the phone from vzw itself, you've got 14 days to decide if you made the right choice. That will ultimately be your greatest ally if you have a really hard time deciding between the two.

In any case, good luck and let us know what you end up getting!

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
All good points. As for OS updates, I can't recall any phone I've ever had getting more than 1 or 2 updates of any import before it became a backyard shed step-child. It comes down to size, feel and which phone gets you smiling and head nodding when you play with it for 10-15 minutes in the store and even then you'll pick one and "IF" you poked the pooch you have 14 days to switch.
I have had many to include the Samsungs and the Motorolas. The Samsungs always catch my eye for a minute but so does sponge bob doesn't mean I want to sit and watch a marathon.
There is dating and there is marriage - pick which you think you can wake up to.

OP
T

T6D16C84

Reaction score
Went to verizon and oddly enough.....got hooked up. They put me on the EDGE program for the Turbo, which cost me 24.99 a month, but I get the 25$ EDGE service discount each month, so a wash. Also, I got a BOSE bluetooth speaker, car charger, wireless charging pad, flip case, screen protector, and a 2200mah portable power pack. So, I was prepared to spend 600$ on a device. Instead I got the device basically for free and then got 850$ of accessories for the device for 400$. So I got the turbo, pretty pumped. Only problem is, I hate the flip case. I am going back in to see if they'll swap it for an otterbox commuter.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Check out the tech21 while you are there also. The otter box commuter (for Turbo) has some fitment issues (Top right corner) Both give you some serious protection. I was sold on the tech21 when I watched a video of a guy at a consumer electronics throwing his phone against the wall from across the room.

Last edited:

JDH

Reaction score
The Moto add ons are a real plus IMO. I use the moto assist and moto voice daily.

OP
T

T6D16C84

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion of the tech 21 case. I got that one, it's less bulky and easier to take on and off than the otter box. Although, with insurance and the one time screen replacement, unless I'm in a scenario where damage could be possible I probably won't put a case on it at all. I like the feel of the ballistic nylon.