Can't turn off swype on Galaxy S3

rikw

Reaction score
When i go to my Language and Input settings i want to turn off swype. When i go to the box to uncheck it, it doesnt let me it stays there as a dark checked box. Someone please help?

I was having the same problem on my wifes S3. One of my kids had somehow selected it.
Swipe was checked but blacked out, T9 was not checked. restarting the phone did not fix the problem.

this is how i was able to fix it:

I went to the phone settings,
I opened Application Manager,
I scrolled down till I found swype and clicked on it,
in the app settings for swipe I clicked on disable app,
I then restarted the phone.
That completely disables the Swype function and removes it from options.

I hope this helps someone, it was very frustrating to figure out.

Last edited:

dknox67

Reaction score
DISABLE Swype?

I don't think you can disable the swype keyboard totally. You can however just switch to the other keyboard. No real reason why you'd have to totally disable it though.

I CANNOT disable Swype. greyed out box. it is a pain, because I would rather click on each letter. most times this is ok. sometimes, it "thinks" I am trying to swype. I SHOULD have the ability to disable this (turn on or off) but cannot.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. Android ver: 4.1.2 (no updates available). I TRIED suggestion of installing the free Swype from google play, but that ADDS a second Swype to the list. I tried to manually "DISABLE" but the swype feature still works?

maxxm

Reaction score
If anyone is still veiwing this thread. Samsung has made their own swype-like function built into their keyboard, as people mentioned before it was called T9, but it has been renamed to Continuous Input. This functions does the exact same thing that swype does, but it does it with the samsung default keyboard. You can disable it through the language and input menu.

Incase there is any confusion, having the actual "Swype" keyboard installed does not automatically make their keyboard your default and so long as swype isn't selected as the default keyboard, swype is not the issue. If Samsung's default keyboard is selected then the issues with the swype-style input are comming from the Samsung "Continuous input" option. On another note, w/o rooting I haven't been able to remove the actualy swype keyboard, it seems Samsung has included it in the stock rom. But again, most likely Swype is not what is causing the issue.

To disable Samsung continuous input:
Language and Input > Samsung Keyboard (gear icon) > Continuous input (uncheck the box)

If this does not fix the issue, I don't know what further to do. (It fixed the issue for me)

ajlyche

Reaction score
this disabled swype for me

I found if I go to SETTINGS, LANGUAGE AND INPUT, clicked the gear next to SAMSUNG KEYBOARD, then unchecked the check box next to CONTINUOUS INPUT. That disabled swype for me.

Good Luck!