Can't turn off swype on Galaxy S3

BC978

Reaction score
When i go to my Language and Input settings i want to turn off swype. When i go to the box to uncheck it, it doesnt let me it stays there as a dark checked box. Someone please help?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Are you asking about Swype the keyboard? My S3 doesn't have just swype, like screen swipe.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
If the Swype keyboard is the problem, just uninstall it. Once you've had it in your system it will always be available to install again you want.

OP
B

BC978

Reaction score
Ahh i see it was just annoying me whenever i swype by accident when texting. i appreciate the help, thanks!

WW5RM

Reaction score
Real reason ? I have plenty of them !

No real reason to turn it off ? WOW when u have to correct almost everything u type cause swype keeps screwing it up yeah would be nice to turn it off cause I spend more time fixing mistakes than I do tying ! Really wish I hadn't bought this phone !

WW5RM

Reaction score
Uninstall it ?

Where can u do that? I guess you have to root it?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Where can u do that? I guess you have to root it?

No, not on the S3 as far as I know. You should be able to go to the app[lications manager in settings and tap it to tell it to uninstall. I could be wrong as I don't have my S3 in front of me but you can't do that on the S4 as they made it a part of the OS.

WW5RM

Reaction score
No, not on the S3 as far as I know. You should be able to go to the app[lications manager in settings and tap it to tell it to uninstall. I could be wrong as I don't have my S3 in front of me but you can't do that on the S4 as they made it a part of the OS.

Not an option. The S3 wont let u uninstall factory apps. You have to root the phone to gain access. I have other issues with this phone as well. For some reason it doesn't like certain usb cables for charging ! Even the factory cable takes forever to charge now or recently. Seems to be doing this after I screwed up by deleting some of the factory apps then I had to do a factory reset or install to get it all back working. But now it only will charge at normal rate on certain usb cables ! Ive had phones in the past that gave me grief but this piece of junk wins the prize as the biggest thorn in my side.......EVER !!!!

I was better off with my Nokia E71!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I am not familiar with the S3 but there may be a process to flash the original current os with all the the factory installed apps which will get your phone back to normal. In the future, freeze rather than delete stock apps, system files. You can always unfreeze them if it turns out they are critical. As with any operating system, deleting factory installed files should be done with extreme caution.

sent from my Note2 using tapatalk 4 beta

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
My S3 has always been flawless, not as great as my S4 but a darned good phone, stock all the way with a few apps disabled.

Last edited:

paulsmn

Reaction score
Go to keyboard settings and turn off the T9 trace check box and this will disable the swype function - i had same issue of it constantly picking wrong words

When i go to my Language and Input settings i want to turn off swype. When i go to the box to uncheck it, it doesnt let me it stays there as a dark checked box. Someone please help?

theriaultj

Reaction score
Go to keyboard settings and turn off the T9 trace check box and this will disable the swype function - i had same issue of it constantly picking wrong words

Settngs》language and input》default samsung keyboard》setup input methods》samsung keyboard settings》uncheck t9 trace.

It would b helpful for the future if the admins would delete all posts that are incorrect/not helpful. It took me a lil while to figure his out and it shouldn't have been that hard. Especially after visiting this site/forum.

slinkydog

Reaction score
On Samsung Galaxy S3, here is what I did to disable swype:

Settings -> Language and input -> next to the "Samsung keyboard" click on the gear wheel (it is on the right side) -> uncheck the "T9 Trace (Type words by swiping between letters)" checkbox

View attachment 65784 View attachment 65785

Last edited: