Can't send emails but can recieve

lawsonje

Reaction score
I just got my droid a few days ago and I thought I had set up my email, i have an outlook live account. However I can not send emails but I can recieve them. I guess this means something is wrong with the outgoing server? I'm using port 587.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

mac424

Reaction score
I just got my droid a few days ago and I thought I had set up my email, i have an outlook live account. However I can not send emails but I can recieve them. I guess this means something is wrong with the outgoing server? I'm using port 587.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Yes sounds like your outgoing server settings are a little off. Double check what the pop3 settings should be for the outgoing server (authentication, port, etc).

One question - Outlook Live? I dont think I've ever heard of that one. Are you sure its not Windows Live (Hotmail) that you're using through Microsoft Outlook or MS Outlook Express?

OP
L

lawsonje

Reaction score
Yes its windows live. I had the incoming server set as IMAP and I changed it to POP and both work to receive mail. The outgoing server is SMTP

mac424

Reaction score
Ok. I did a quick search. Make sure you verify these things:

SMTP (outgoing) server: smtp.live.com
SMTP port: 25
  • If you run into problems sending mail, try "587" for the SMTP port instead.
SMTP SSL required: yes
SMTP authentication: yes
SMTP user name: your full Windows Live Hotmail email address
SMTP password: your Windows Live Hotmail password

OP
L

lawsonje

Reaction score
Those were not the settings I had but I tried them and they did not work either. My mail account is a windows/Microsoft live account that is a outlook web app . I accessed the SMPT settings from my email it gave me the server name and port #.

mac424

Reaction score
Hmm ok, well that was worth a shot. Maybe I searched wrong. What is the extension on your email (@xxxx.com)?

Taegost

Reaction score
Yeah, more then likely it's a problem with the SMTP authentication. Most outgoing servers require some kind of authentication, from as simple as logging in again, to having to check the incoming mail before it can send outgoing. If you go into the Help section of your Windows Live e-mail on your PC, there should be a setup/troubleshooting section that tells you exactly what settings need to be in place for it it to work.

jjcjnorth

Reaction score
Had same issue. I had to download K9 Mail app and emails send fine. Doesn't work for @hotmail tho.

wiressuck

Reaction score
I am having the same issue now. it seems that the generic emailer has lost the account partially. I am still also able to receive but the sents have stacked up in the outbox.
anybody know the best way to recover the 30 emails to resend them?

I can't recreate the acct without deleting it, and do not want to risk losing the mails.
if someone has a good suggestion I am all ears. I will also get rid of this gmail app that is provided asap.

thanks

Last edited:

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For the record, Live doesn't support IMAP. When I entered my email address and password, Android set up all the server information.

ebruot

Reaction score
You might try going into settings>applications and clear data and cache for the gmail app. I have had to do that before many times, especially after switching ROMs. I don't remember, but you might lose the messages currently in your outbox though.

sg32

Reaction score
Outlook issue

I just purchased Droid X, I'm an ex-BB user, I can send e-mails but cannot receive from my outlook account. Not exchange server PoP3 account. any suggestions?