Can't boot into recovery

s_cuttic

Reaction score
I downloaded the two part update to get gb .596. I booted into recovery and tried to install part 1 but it wouldn't work. I later found out i'm not on froyo because my baseband version ends in .07. I was able to reboot the phone no problem but now no matter what I do, I can't reboot into recovery. It just boots normal. I'm still rooted and everything works fine on the phone except for bootstrap. I did uninstall it, un-root, reboot, re-root and download and install bootstrap but still nothing. Not even after rebooting again. I tried holding the home and power buttons when I turn the phone on, but it basically comes up with what I guess is an error message/symbol. It's the little android with a white triangle and an exclamation point inside it. Only thing I can do is pull the battery and it boots fine.

What can I do to get bootstrap to work again? Do I need to buy the droid 2 version or something else? I'm running darkslide. I did not download or install the ota update. I like being rooted. Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

----------------------------------------------------------------EDIT------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok... I am able to get into a boot recovery but it's not clock work mod's. It's android's. When I wipe cache, it says "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command. It doesn't give me the error message when I wipe data/facory reset. Bootstrap still doesn't load into clockwork mod, it just reboots the phone. Any ideas??

Last edited:

cjriddle22

Reaction score
I downloaded the two part update to get gb .596. I booted into recovery and tried to install part 1 but it wouldn't work. I later found out i'm not on froyo because my baseband version ends in .07. I was able to reboot the phone no problem but now no matter what I do, I can't reboot into recovery. It just boots normal. I'm still rooted and everything works fine on the phone except for bootstrap. I did uninstall it, un-root, reboot, re-root and download and install bootstrap but still nothing. Not even after rebooting again. I tried holding the home and power buttons when I turn the phone on, but it basically comes up with what I guess is an error message/symbol. It's the little android with a white triangle and an exclamation point inside it. Only thing I can do is pull the battery and it boots fine.

What can I do to get bootstrap to work again? Do I need to buy the droid 2 version or something else? I'm running darkslide. I did not download or install the ota update. I like being rooted. Any help is appreciated!

----------------------------------------------------------------EDIT------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok... I am able to get into a boot recovery but it's not clock work mod's. It's android's. When I wipe cache, it says "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command. It doesn't give me the error message when I wipe data/facory reset. Bootstrap still doesn't load into clockwork mod, it just reboots the phone. Any ideas??

In the thread for the 2 part GB update it says you must use D2 Bootstrapper. I'm pretty sure before I updated my baseband ended in .07, I SBF'd to 2.3.340 (Froyo), then installed the 2 part GB update and my baseband is now .12. I'm thinking you need the D2 Bootstrapper now that you tried to install GB, it might have changed something even tho the install failed. You can get D2 bootstrapper for free from Koush's website or Google. That error you are talking about is the stock recovery, when you see that android with the exclamation point (after holding home + power), press the search button, this will take you into stock recovery where you can factory reset data/cache, etc. If you like being rooted you can install the two part pre-rooted .596 GB from team black hat over at mydroidworld.com, but you have to be completely stock and have all the bloatware installed for it install without failing (hence the SBF I did). You mentioned you were on Darkslide, this is probably why the install failed for you.

OP
S

s_cuttic

Reaction score

In the thread for the 2 part GB update it says you must use D2 Bootstrapper. I'm pretty sure before I updated my baseband ended in .07, I SBF'd to 2.3.340 (Froyo), then installed the 2 part GB update and my baseband is now .12. I'm thinking you need the D2 Bootstrapper now that you tried to install GB, it might have changed something even tho the install failed. You can get D2 bootstrapper for free from Koush's website or Google. That error you are talking about is the stock recovery, when you see that android with the exclamation point (after holding home + power), press the search button, this will take you into stock recovery where you can factory reset data/cache, etc. If you like being rooted you can install the two part pre-rooted .596 GB from team black hat over at mydroidworld.com, but you have to be completely stock and have all the bloatware installed for it install without failing (hence the SBF I did). You mentioned you were on Darkslide, this is probably why the install failed for you.

I tried using droid 2 bootstrap but I had the same problem with it booting up and skipping recovery. I'll have to see what I can find for sbf's for stock. Any other ideas?

cjriddle22

Reaction score
I tried using droid 2 bootstrap but I had the same problem with it booting up and skipping recovery. I'll have to see what I can find for sbf's for stock. Any other ideas?

Sounds like you will need to SBF back to Stock Froyo if you are wanting the GB update. If not, and your current setup is all you need/want, then just keep on keeping on.

ecfiffer

Reaction score
Have you tried unchecking USB debugging? That's what I saw mousy retweeted a long while ago. Bootstrap recover works each time

ArmyDude

Reaction score
Have you tried unchecking USB debugging? That's what I saw mousy retweeted a long while ago. Bootstrap recover works each time

+1. Disable USB debugging. Droid X Bootstrapper works fine with that disabled.

OP
S

s_cuttic

Reaction score
I'll try to sbf back to froyo tomorrow. I tried several times with usb enabled and disabled but still can't get into recovery. I even downloaded rom manager and tried doing it from that but no luck. If I can't get anywhere by tomorrow night I may just install the ota update and try to reroot sometime down the line. Give the experts time to hack GB.

OP
S

s_cuttic

Reaction score
I still can't boot into recovery and I can't install the OTA update. I'm going to try to sbf back to froyo but if I can't even do that, I'm stuck on darkslide. Not that I mind, but I can't change rom's or do any kind of an update because the only recovery mode I can get into is the android recovery mode. I didn't try to install the update before I recover all my apps and whatnot thru my google account after wiping cache and data yet but that's something I'm going to have to try. I just want to bang my head off a wall because I'm basically stuck right now between a rock and a hard place. Yes my phone works but I can't change anything.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it bothers you then sbf. As long as you can get into the bootloader, you'll be fine

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.7

Floor it

Reaction score
I used Wug's root toolkit, to get rooted. But now if I try to reboot into recovery i get the screen with the droid and the warning sign for a minute then the phone reboots.

I've done some reading and it seems the stock recovery has reflashed, and the you have to go into: Root Explorer go to System, mount as R/W(button up towards the top of the app), find recovery-from-boot.p (change to 1recovery-from-boot.p or delete)

I have root explorer installed but I can't find recovery-from-boot.p in the system folder.

Anyone have any help?

Floor it

Reaction score
OK did some digging around and deleted the recovery-from-boot.p. I can't figure out how to " Flash CWM (fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img)"

I have clockwork 5.5.0.4-toro on my Nexus but when I'm in fastboot mode I don't see an option to flash recovery

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK did some digging around and deleted the recovery-from-boot.p. I can't figure out how to " Flash CWM (fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img)"

I have clockwork 5.5.0.4-toro on my Nexus but when I'm in fastboot mode I don't see an option to flash recovery

Just use the command prompt and make sure the clockwork img is in your fastboot folder. Navigate to your fastboot folder and then type fastboot flash recovery "name of your file".img

Hope that helps you.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Worst case scenario you can use rom manager to flash it. The free one works to accomplish this if you don't have the premium one. But it never hurts to do it the old fashioned way (the way I prefer) or at least know how to do it.

Sent From the Land Before Time...

Floor it

Reaction score
Just use the command prompt and make sure the clockwork img is in your fastboot folder. Navigate to your fastboot folder and then type fastboot flash recovery "name of your file".img

Hope that helps you.

I don't see directions for this anywhere. How to you get the clockwork img in the fastboot folder?