Cannot Root

dcook12

Reaction score
I have had the original Droid 1 since July and figured it was time to root since I have been reading and feel comfortable. I want to flash my Rom and maybe overclock...

But anyway. I can't get past the easy part. So I think I am missing something really easy as I go through a ton of root posts.

I have tried Easy Root. I paid and got it from the developer. It sent me a key. I installed it. Hit root me, it says congrats you are rooted. Just reboot and come back to this application to download programs that need root. I reboot, and it starts the root process again. I tried it several times and nothing.
I found Universal Androot. Loads and installs fine. Hit root, goes through a few things and I get a failed message.

I then tried Z4 root..same thing. Fails while trying to root. Each of these programs did do something because a lot of my apps had to have settings changed back to what I originally had.

Any help would be appreciated. Do I need to install these in safe mode?? None of the documentations for these programs say that. Or am I just missing a simple setting. I do have the development setting checked for USB debugging which they all say to do. Also have non market applications checked. Of course now I am obsessed that I have to root since I'm having so many problems...thanks again in advance and sorry if this is something I should have picked up by searching but have been through this site and a few others...just frustrated...

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken those methods no longer work on the droid 1. Look for "root your droid 1 regardless of os", I think that is the preferred method.

tappin and a talkin

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First link in my signature.

Or Superoneclick.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I also love that these devs have no problem keeping your money even tho they know it doesn't work on your phone. Ugh.

OP
dcook12

dcook12

Reaction score
I also love that these devs have no problem keeping your money even tho they know it doesn't work on your phone. Ugh.

I know...They do like the money....I forgot to mention I tried superonestep also and that did not work. I'm trying to understand this really long manual method in your signature...wow...that's why I was hoping there was still a one or two step process that would work..I'm already confused at the winrar unzip program. It wants to download to my phone. So I'm confused about whether I am supposed to unzip these files on my phone or PC? Thanks for your help!!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you've never installed something on your computer and don't know what a zip file is, you are in for a treat.

You need to install winzip, extract motocache complete root zip file.

Took me a month to get enough stomach to go through with it.

Fortunately I am now very experienced with it. You just have to read over and over.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, as stated above read: Root D1 Regardless of OS Version at least 10 times. Read through each step carefully and really try to understand what the process is trying to accomplish. I followed this guide to a T and it went perfectly. As stated in the guide, pay attention to "catching the boot" as this is probably the most difficult part of the whole process. Once rooted, you'll be a happy camper. Custom roms and overclock kernels have saved my sanity while I wait for my upgrade!