Cannot charge Droid via PC USB or various chargers

cain

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have an issue here where the Droid just wont charge via USB connect to PC. I believe the PC or Droid cannot recognize each other and fails to connect/charge. Checking the USB tether (in the settings) - the status of the USB connection flickers from connected to not connected.

When using a charger, the white LED light would start blinking a few times a second and the charger/batt icon would go back and forth from charging status and discharging in the same interval. I've used 850 mAh chargers. However, I did get a 500 mAh charger to work one time when I borrowed someone's charger. Not sure this will work again as now it happens consistently.

This happens with stock 2.1, 2.1 rooted, froyo 2.2 root/unrooted, Bugless Beast 0.4 - and I've tried almost every kernel available. Stock, OC'ed, you name it.

I think it may have stemmed from using this product:
Tekkeon - TekCharge MP1800, emergency power, emergency battery
It is a portable charger but I have not heard much of issues from other Droid owners using the product. However, my troubles have started when I first started using the product.

The ONLY way I can charge the product or connect the Droid to the PC via USB is using the TekCharger as the middleman... oddly, it works. I can't continue using it this way. Please help! :icon_ poke:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Have you contacted tekkeon?? Either it corrupted some driver or damaged the phone somehow. Have you tried flashing the 2.1 .sbf or even 2.0.1 .sbf and see if that helps?
$.02, spend it as you please.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Have you contacted tekkeon?? Either it corrupted some driver or damaged the phone somehow. Have you tried flashing the 2.1 .sbf or even 2.0.1 .sbf and see if that helps?
Sorry, but Really? If I may respectfully submit, the OP (cain) is having trouble charging via a PC on their USB port. Charging the phone has NOTHING to do with any software (or at least a ROM) on the phone. It is controlled by the hardware. In this case cain 'may' be right in thinking that the aftermarket charger has corrupted something on cain's phone.

So cain, can the phone be charged using just the stock wall charger that came with the phone?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
He also said can't charge with an 850maH charger and only once with a 500maH charger (wasn't sure if would work again), not just an issue with the pc/usb charging.

Going from what he said it seems this aftermarket portable charger did something to his droid. That's all I'm saying.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
And with that I totally agree, but it has probably effected the hardware of the phone, which I doubt any flashing or rom changing would fix. If I'm wrong, it would be nice so let me know. And sorry if I typed a little crankily last night, my bad.