1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Charging Motorola Droid via USB Hub

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by palswim, Jun 20, 2012.

1. palswim

palswim New Member

A similar discussion happened over a year and a half ago, but it contained so many wild guesses and misinformation that I decided to start a new thread.

I have a Motorola Droid that charges without issue from the Motorola charger. However, I have many instances where I don't have the charger with me, but have a USB port available. But, it seems like the Droid does not want to accept charge from a normal USB port.

In my specific instance, I have a 4-port powered USB hub (2A @ 5V, meaning each port should output the USB-standard 500mA) that I use for general charging needs. This hub sits alone (i.e. no computer has connected to it), and all of the other devices I have connected to it charge without issue. I have tried with other hubs, as well, so I know that the hub doesn't have problems.

I realize that the Motorola charger outputs 850mA, at least the one I have. But, does the Droid really only accept charge in that range? I would understand if the Droid refused a 100mA current, but most other devices whose chargers output higher currents will accept a lower current (500mA), but just charge more slowly, even my Transformer!

In essence, I would like to know what I can do to cause the Droid to recognize the 500mA charging port on the hub. A firmware update? A hack?
  2. palswim

palswim New Member

3. palswim

palswim New Member

A few notes on that thread:
    • People started identifying the USB cable as the culprit, which is preposterous, and which I have tested by connecting the Motorola cable to the hub (and the non-Motorola cables to the Motorola charger, which worked to charge the Droid).
  4. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable New Member

Certain phones have issue charging off USB if the battery is low. Using a cable other than the one that came with it can also be a problem.

MIUI tested, mother approved.
Search tags for this page
charge android through usb hub
charge droid with usb
charge motorola phone hub

charging android using usb hub 4 port

charging motorola droid usb
how to connect usb hub droid razr
motorola droid 4 charging issues
powered usb hub charging motorola
usb charger droid4
usb hub droid bionic