Can you turn off apps?

kbrake

Reaction score
I am a former Blackberry user. Whenever you were done with an app you had to exit from it or it was still running in the background using up battery power. I don't seem to be able to find a way to shut the apps on my Droid 2. Any suggestions?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Just hit back, home or see if there is an exit option in the menu....
Don't worry about it too much Android works different than BB.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The thing is, you don't need too.

I know, shocker! XD

Just because an app is alive in the memory does not mean it is running and/or using battery. It's how android is. Now, don't get me wrong, there are some bad apps which will run/drain battery, but I wouldn't keep any app like that on my phone.

Always check though by pressing the menu button to see if an app can be killed (i.e. Pandora radio, etc.) to see if they have an option to exit the app.

Also, task killers are a no-no too, just in case you have one on your phone. :)

Oh, forgot to say why the apps being open isn't a bad thing, but rather a good thing.

Most apps stay open, but "frozen" in the memory. Being frozen in the memory allows them to be quickly "thawed" and put back into use, saving battery and time by not having to restart the app.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
K

kbrake

Reaction score
Thanks

This is different from my Blackberry. There is a lot to learn.

Thanks for the help

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'd also like to add that using the home button to exit apps leaves them open and running in the background with priority over everything else ("No kill" if you will..). Too many apps open like that can cause reboots (similar to "protection" in an audio amplifier) which will shut them down.
Using the back button to exit will leave the app open but idle. If you haven't gone back to it in x amount of time, or another application needs the resources, Android itself will shut the original app down.
So, if you're just leaving say...Gmail to go check your Facebook but are going to go right back to Gmail afterwards, hit home to pick up right where you left off. Otherwise, use your back button.
Welcome to Android! :)

DroidForums junkie!!

thinkmega

Reaction score
If the notion of "turn off" means one of the following:

1. disable the "auto-refresh";
2. stop the communication with the outside world;

You can try to use "DroidWall" to see if it does what you want. I use it to have one extra layer of control over who can go out ....

Hope it helps.

OP
K

kbrake

Reaction score
One thing I have discovered. When I am playing music. I really can't seem to shut it off when I am done. Any suggestions?