can verizon handle the congestion?

sroach23

Reaction score
with att getting rid of their unlimited plan, can Verizons network handle all the ex att users?

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
I personally don't think there will be that many ex AT&T users switching because of the data plan modifications. Based on their data, 98% will be able to slide in under the 2GB cap and will ultimately save $5/mo.

I hope Verizon does the same thing.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sign of the times. And with AT&T blinking first, Verizon is almost sure to follow suit. VZW gains nothing by attracting heavy bandwidth users defecting from AT&T. There aren't that many and the burden they impose on the network far outweighs any benefit VZW derives from their monthly revenue.

I'm guessing that Verizon may start by imposing the same five gigabyte limit on new phone contracts that exists for broadband access on other devices. That would impact few users, provide a competitive advantage for VZW, and set the groundwork for new pricing in the future.

OP
S

sroach23

Reaction score
i would have no problem paying $25 a month for 5gb. att doing $25 for 2gb and $10 for every gb over might put off too many people.

OP
S

sroach23

Reaction score
never mind, it says current users will be able to keep their existing plans while being able to upgrade to a new phone. so only new att customers will deal with this.

R

Romple

It really sucks. When LTE rolls out, 2 gigs is going to be a pair of hydrogen atoms dancing with some lucky oxygen atom in a gigantic bucket.

2 gigs is 35 hours of streaming Pandora @ 128kbps. Might sound like a lot but considering a lot of people like me listen to pandora while commuting, running, walking around NYC, etc... 35 hours isn't that much. I've hit the 40 hour limit numerous times.

And that doesn't including youtube videos, downloading apps and upgrades, email, news feeds, etc... stuff adds up quick. I consistently use 2-5 gigs a month. People like me are basically screwed if VZW adopts the same pricing.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
It really sucks. When LTE rolls out, 2 gigs is going to be a pair of hydrogen atoms dancing with some lucky oxygen atom in a gigantic bucket.

2 gigs is 35 hours of streaming Pandora @ 128kbps. Might sound like a lot but considering a lot of people like me listen to pandora while commuting, running, walking around NYC, etc... 35 hours isn't that much. I've hit the 40 hour limit numerous times.

And that doesn't including youtube videos, downloading apps and upgrades, email, news feeds, etc... stuff adds up quick. I consistently use 2-5 gigs a month. People like me are basically screwed if VZW adopts the same pricing.

I can see two plans coming from this, 5gb cap and unlimited for more of your greenbacks. We all want options right? haha

R

Romple

I can see two plans coming from this, 5gb cap and unlimited for more of your greenbacks. We all want options right? haha

I doubt it. The ATT plans are laughable. And on a tablet form that will see more in-house use than a mobile phone where consumption would arguably be higher. 2 gigs and 200 Megs. lol. If that's the case i'd gladly just pay $35 for unlimited, since right now I'd be buying at least an extra 1 Gig every month, and at least 2-3 times a year I'd be paying for an extra 2-3 Gigs.

If 98% of people really use less than 2 Gigs than it doesn't make sense to charge people less for that. I think the numbers are complete BS and much more than 2% will be paying those extra $10 for more gigs. I feel bad for you guys using 5+ gigs. Get ready for $60/month data bills.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
A few points.

First, it's true that current AT&T subscribers won't be affected by the change. No carrier would try to change the rules in the middle of contracts. However, it's up to a carrier to determine "grandfathering" rules for contract renewals. Over the course of a couple of years the slice of customers with unlimited data plans will shrink to a tiny percentage.

Second, what has gone largely unnoticed here is the fact that new iPad purchasers will be hit with the same plan changes and there the changes are much more significant. A device that (a) encourages internet surfing with a large screen and (b) depends almost exclusively on streaming content will hit a 2-3 gig limit much more quickly than a phone.

Of course, the availability of wifi mitigates the effects, just as it does in current broadband access plans on VZW. (I have such a plan on my netbook and have never hit 5 gigs in a month on that device simply because I use wifi far more frequently than 3G.) But tablets like the iPad (and forthcoming android tablets) are even more "mobile" than netbooks. And that means they're more likely to take advantage of a 3G (and later a 4G) network.

All in all, AT&T has just made the iPad considerably more expensive (at least potentially) for new buyers. And since iPads are seriously back ordered everywhere, it means most iPad owners will be hit by the new plans.

It will be interesting to see what VZW does when it starts carrying the new generation of android tablets. My guess is that such devices will drive a new pricing structure.

wil318466

Reaction score
I strongly disagree with some of you guys. It is no way acceptable. Not at all. When you sign up for something that says "unlimited", I expect it to be exactly that. Unlimited. Thats what I pay for.

Why do I pay 106 dollars a month for my cell phone? Does it REALLY use that much bandwith on their network? Really? How much could it cost them that they have a huge residual amount of money coming from me, and every person like me, in the USA?

I can't stand it when companies sell you something, then they change the rules. Its BS, if you ask me.

MK17

Reaction score
So, if they do grandfather the renewal of contracts to keep the unlimited plan, that would be a hell of a way to get someone to stay with their current company if they can't get unlimited if they switch carriers /random thought

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I strongly disagree with some of you guys. It is no way acceptable. Not at all. When you sign up for something that says "unlimited", I expect it to be exactly that. Unlimited. Thats what I pay for.

Why do I pay 106 dollars a month for my cell phone? Does it REALLY use that much bandwith on their network? Really? How much could it cost them that they have a huge residual amount of money coming from me, and every person like me, in the USA?

I can't stand it when companies sell you something, then they change the rules. Its BS, if you ask me.

Felt the same way when I bought a new car a couple of years ago. It was TOTALLY unfair that the dealer didn't sell me the car for the same price I had paid eight years before.

You purchase a contact for one or two years, not a lifetime. VZW may allow you to keep the provisions of a previous contract if they feel it's in their interest to do so, but they are certainly not obligated to do so.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They could atleast keep the unlimited data plan, being they make their profit off of text msg which is one of the biggest mark ups in the industry. ATT is choking because that is going to give apple another reason to not sign another exclusive deal.
We will see vzw iphone customers for the lte network.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
never mind, it says current users will be able to keep their existing plans while being able to upgrade to a new phone. so only new att customers will deal with this.

Let us pray Verizon follows this path...

So, if they do grandfather the renewal of contracts to keep the unlimited plan, that would be a hell of a way to get someone to stay with their current company if they can't get unlimited if they switch carriers /random thought

Verizon, are u reading this?

i would have no problem paying $25 a month for 5gb. att doing $25 for 2gb and $10 for every gb over might put off too many people.
$25/5gb is acceptable. $25/2gb seems a bit too cheap imo.

I agree 100%. My last 2 months combined I used about 1.5GB. My usage actually went down form when i first got my Droid in Apr.