Can NOT install Apps from anywhere??

LT*

Reaction score
This is an issue that started as a different problem all together. I thought I had it solved with some help From CK and Tallica, but it's come back again and again. It started in this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-help/98997-constant-sync-icon-draining-battery.html

I figured that I should start a new thread since the title of that one doesn't describe the issue any longer.

So after everything in that thread, I still can not install apps from anywhere, including TiBu. I've done everything from clearing cache and data from the Market to un-rooting and RSDing back again twice. I cannot figure this out for the life of me. An app will download, and just hang forever at installing until I FC the Market or TiBu. It almost seems like I have a corrupted installer. It did work properly after I re-rooted to stock 22D (thanks Motochache1) for about 15 minutes, and then it crapped out again. I was able to install from the Market and from TiBu before it stopped again.

Possibly related, when the issue starts, I can no longer access apps on my SD card. I also can't mount the card to the computer, nor unmount it from within the phone. I have reformatted the card already, and it can be read with no problems from recovery. I can also access all pics on there from the phone, so I'm fairly certain that the card itself is fine.

I'm not sure if it's a permissions issue, or and installer issue, or a hardware issue (although it should never have worked at all if this is the case). If I can't figure it out, I am going to call VzW and have it replaced since I have time left on the manufacturers warranty. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated by my family as they have been missing me since Friday :icon_eek:

Thanks

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm sure you have but, when an app hangs have you tried longpressing on it in the market, select cancel download and try again?

If you still can't get it to work I would call Verizon for sure.

OP
LT*

LT*

Reaction score
I'm sure you have but, when an app hangs have you tried longpressing on it in the market, select cancel download and try again?

If you still can't get it to work I would call Verizon for sure.

Thanks for the reply Tallica.

I can't cancel any install without force closing the Market manually. Same with Titanium. I'm hesitant to call Verizon since I don't really want to lose my D1 for another phone. There's also the dreaded refurb hell that can follow if they do have D1s in stock. If I can't figure it out in the next few hours, I think I'll have to call though. Luckily I can still make phone calls and text etc, and I did get root explorer, set cpu and a few other "essentials" installed before it crapped out the last time.

Thanks again.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can't cancel any install without force closing the Market manually.

So when you long press on an app that's hanging from the downloads screen in the market do you get a popup with cancel download as an option?

In my experience canceling the download this way does not FC the market.

OP
LT*

LT*

Reaction score
I can't cancel any install without force closing the Market manually.

So when you long press on an app that's hanging from the downloads screen in the market do you get a popup with cancel download as an option?

In my experience canceling the download this way does not FC the market.

Right, long press on the app in the download screen brings up a pop up with "details" as my only option. That brings me to the app page with a blank Install bar and a greyed out installing button at the bottom. I have to FC the Market from Settings>Apps> Manage apps>market. Odd thing about that, the main list of apps will show the size of the app, but when clicked, the values for the size of Data, cache, and all that will hang at computing and never read values. When I hit FC there, the hung up install stops. So frustrating.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sorry man,

Looks like a call to Verizon is in your future.

Good luck!

z96Cobra

Reaction score
I'd try a different micro SD card just to see if that is causing the issue.

Roger

OP
LT*

LT*

Reaction score
I'd try a different micro SD card just to see if that is causing the issue.

Roger

I actually reformatted mine, and can see pics and music from the phone, and am able to mount it to the computer via recovery to transfer files. I can't mount it when not in recovery, and I can't unmount it for removal from the settings menu. I really don't think it's the card, but I have a replacement due tomorrow afternoon, so once I put my card in the new one, if I have similar issues, I will know.

Thanks

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
LT* let us know if it is the SD card. That's what I posted in your previous thread and that's what I am leaning towards as the problem. Good luck and let me know! Thanks

Sent from my Droid

OP
LT*

LT*

Reaction score
LT* let us know if it is the SD card. That's what I posted in your previous thread and that's what I am leaning towards as the problem. Good luck and let me know! Thanks

Sent from my Droid

I'll let you know how it all turns out once the new one comes in tomorrow. Thanks CK

OP
LT*

LT*

Reaction score
So the new phone is here, and I got it up and running, and what do you know, I can't install apps again. Looks like CK was right about the SD card. I threw an old 1gig I didn't realized I had in there and suddenly it will install apps from the market. Doh! I'm puzzled since I did format the card already. Does this just mean that the card is shot and I need a new one? Is there something on the card that is causing this?

I'm hoping that I can just transfer everything to the new card and be all set, but if there's something on there causing this, then that won't help.

Also, on the return, the replacement phone has a build date of almost a year after my old one. so far, everything seems in perfect order with it. I will probably just keep the new one though unless something goes wrong in the next few days.

OP
LT*

LT*

Reaction score
Just to update this thread in case anyone else runs into this problem, I figured out what the problem was. While reading through another thread, I found out that apps on the SD card are stored in the android.secure folder. Looking in there, I noticed duplicates of most of my apps designated with a 1 and a 2. I went through and deleted the duplicates, and all my problems stopped. I can now install, uninstall, and restore backups. One thing though is that when I restore a backup from Titanium, it puts a duplicate on the card. I have to go through and delete them, but if it keeps working, then I'm a happy guy.

doublefeet

Reaction score
Thanks for posting your resolution. I had this exact same problem on my EVO (shh, I'm not supposed to be on these forums maybe) and this fixed it!